Loud Click when hitting play in playback- gets louder each time stopping and starting hitting the play button (large project)

Simon Webster

Question

So I have a large project with a lot of tracks and am only getting the click when I hit play in playback. It gets louder each time I stop and start it again. Ive looked through a few things and increased the playback and record buffer size in increments, rebooted the project but this didnt work. Some forums have said about LatencyMon and Ive downloaded that although admittedly I have no clue what its supposed to do and no clue about trouble shooting things to do with the PC and memory etc. Im using Windows 10, Focusrite ASIO input and output drivers. This happens only when hitting play and I havent had this issue with other projects so can only assume it must be down to the size of the project?

16 answers to this question

3 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Does this happen anywhere in the song or only at the beginning?

It will happen from any point in the song I chose and press play, and if I keep stop and starting it from there with the space bar it gets louder- and this can be seen going up in DB on the master bus aswell. If I keep the song playing and click on another part of the song it will play from there with no clicks and no issues.

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

What happens if you turn off all FX - using the FX button in the Mix Module?

Just did this and I thought it had solved the problem but upon starting the playback again and again from the start point the pops still started happening and getting louder

What happens if you temporarily deselect “64-bit Double Precision Engine” in Preferences - Audio - Driver Settings.

What VSTi plugins are you using?

What are your PC specs.
---
Have you set CPU min max to 100%.  
Start + run "control powercfg.cpl,,1" (without quotes) and set CPU Min and Max to 100% (Under Processor power management)

--

In preferences | Audio | Configuration File try adjusting the following:

EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor = False
MixThreadCount = {number of CPU cores minus 1}

You might like to exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, go to the following folder and make a copy of the AUD.INI file before doing this:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Try disabling C-states and Intel Speedstep (This is done in the PC's BIOS and the method varies between PCs.  not sure how, then get someone who knows to do ths for you)

14 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Try a different buffer size setting. I have had plugins that do funny things with specific buffer sizes

I tried this upon your advice, having moved it around in different areas the click still happened except when i set it on fast as possible, I wouldnt get the click happening at the start of playback but further into the track weird sounds and distortion would start happening to the track.

13 hours ago, Promidi said:

What happens if you temporarily deselect “64-bit Double Precision Engine” in Preferences - Audio - Driver Settings.

What VSTi plugins are you using?

What are your PC specs.
---
Have you set CPU min max to 100%.  
Start + run "control powercfg.cpl,,1" (without quotes) and set CPU Min and Max to 100% (Under Processor power management)

--

In preferences | Audio | Configuration File try adjusting the following:

EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor = False
MixThreadCount = {number of CPU cores minus 1}

You might like to exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, go to the following folder and make a copy of the AUD.INI file before doing this:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Try disabling C-states and Intel Speedstep (This is done in the PC's BIOS and the method varies between PCs.  not sure how, then get someone who knows to do ths for you)

PC specs are: Processor- 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz

Installed RAM- 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

CPU min and max are both already at 100 percent, EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor I can change to false however for some reason I cant select -1 for the MixThreadCount?  I shall have to look into the others things you have suggested. Thanks

16 minutes ago, Simon Webster said:

.....however for some reason I cant select -1 for the MixThreadCount?  I shall have to look into the others things you have suggested. Thanks

For the MixThreadCount, it means determine the number of cores your CPU has.  Subtract one from that number.  That's the number you enter into the MixThreadCount field.

Have you tried adjusting the Fade On Start and Fade On Stop settings in Preferences?

Audio >> Playback and Recording >> Fade On Start

Audio >> Playback and Recording >> Fade On Stop

image.png.f87890042070292ee0dd5b0e09f12726.png

For my setup, 3 milliseconds works well.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Promidi said:

For the MixThreadCount, it means determine the number of cores your CPU has.  Subtract one from that number.  That's the number you enter into the MixThreadCount field.

Thanks. Ive changed these things but Im still getting the same issue unfortunately

Edited by Simon Webster

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tim Elmore said:

Have you tried adjusting the Fade On Start and Fade On Stop settings in Preferences?

Audio >> Playback and Recording >> Fade On Start

Audio >> Playback and Recording >> Fade On Stop

image.png.f87890042070292ee0dd5b0e09f12726.png

For my setup, 3 milliseconds works well.

Thanks, Just tried setting it to 3 to no avail and above that even up to 50, is there any other recommended settings or possible solutions?

Edited by Simon Webster