Can CBL run currently with Cakewalk Sonar Backstage .04(rebuild one)

Garey Beck

Question

6 answers to this question

CbB and Cakewalk Sonar Backstage can both exist on the same PC as they are installed in their own program folder

You should even be able have them both open at the same time.

However, you might not want to run them both simultaneously for every long as there are some shared components.

if you want to have them bother open at the same time, then only do so for a quick test.

Posted (edited)

Actually there was an issue that still exists for me where Sonar Home Studio was connected to the new Sonar. The problem was both created a Folder called Sonar.  CbB folder is called Cakewalk Core and other versions of old Sonar create folders like Platinum etc. 

Anyway I was having general crashes of Sonar and staff instructed me to do a clean install. 
The instructions they sent were for Cakewalk. So I think it wasn’t an actual person dealing with me. 
Anyway I uninstall Home Studio, Cakewalk and Cakewalk Sonar following the instructions carefully. This includes deleting in RegEdit. 
I also removed all the Folders as instructed from Program Files etc. Good bye personal settings! 

Note: I didn’t uninstall Sonar 8.5 and Platinum. Screw that! 

I only re installed Sonar.  The icon created by installing looks like Home Studio icon. I keep changing it and it comes back. 
There is no sign of Cakewalk or Home Studio on the start screen or on the Apps list. 

I changed Midi files so they open with Sonar.  
I click on a midi file and Cakewalk opens with a dozen warning messages about activation and updates.?? 

The Cakewalk Core folder has somehow returned from the Grave? 

It seems the only resolve is going to be a new C drive and fresh install. 

There’s something messed up in Sonar and it still crashes or freezes up. The crash dump files just say Sonar. 
I submitted them but you always get boilerplate replies that are of little help.

Anyway I will wait until it’s is released as something I can purchase and then I will start with a clean system.  

I sure hope there’s a plan to offer our legacy plug ins like Rapture Pro using the new Cakewalk Product Center. 

Anyway bottom line is I would be now apprehensive about recommending installing Sonar until they officially release it and we can kiss the Bandlab junk goodbye.  

Here’s what I’m doing. 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Anyway bottom line is I would be now apprehensive about recommending installing Sonar until they officially release it and we can kiss the Bandlab junk goodbye.  

I have zero reservations about recommending Sonar precisely because it installs in parallel with CbB and does not interfere at all with continuing to use CbB. The guts of the program and project file architecture remain largely unchanged and projects can currently be migrated both ways without any issues that I know of.

Yes at first it was like that for me back in February. But not anymore. For the most part it is working normally but I haven't had random crashes for possibly 4 or 5 years now they are regular.  I  think installing a few other Daw's to demo as well as Home Studio has made a mess. I just installed Luna and that was a huge mistake!  I was originally using a different Computer to test the other Daw's but it is 15 years old and something is not working right at the moment. Otherwise this is exactly why I don't normally install too much on my main Daw.  

But I still don't understand why the clean re install didn't resolve the conflicts. and for me Sonar is corrupted and on edge all the time. 

I'm pretty sure if and when they release it ( any day now right? ) and I just start fresh from zero it would defiantly not be unstable. 

Thanks for the input. Good to know they can run concurrently. Gives me an opportunity try out before committing to Sonar at an unknown cost to me at this time.

I have a small home studio and have done some small private projects for myself and others, so I am more of a novice, but enjoying the learning experience.

Thanks for the welcome and I plan to visit often.

Asus Zenbook laptop

i7 10th generation, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, using 2 monitors.