Behringer 369-KT Compressor vs Neve 33609 Compressor

jesse g

Hey all,

I just got finish listening to  the  Behringer 369-KT Compressor and wondered, would you all add this to your studio??

Comment below.  

More for a listening test..

From what I've watched/heard, the Behringer doesn't sound 100% identical... but it's certainly in the ball-park.

At $400, it's not much of a risk.

I'm also curious about their 1273 (two channel 1073 preamp clone).

At $700, that's about half the cost of the Warm Audio WA-273 EQ.

Behringer is a company some folks love to hate (and I can see why), but they've been releasing some good/useful products... especially the past decade.

The X32 series (and spin-offs) are widely used for live events.  Midas as well... and they tend to be in higher-end venues/scenarios.

Klark Teknik processors are surprisingly good for the cost.

The new UB-XA 16-voice analog synth is another example.  It sounds good to me (not amazing)... but it's about 1/5th the cost of an OB-X8 (and has double the polyphony).

IMO, it's fantastic for users to be able to experience Neve style outboard at such low cost.

Higher-end outboard preamps can make a significant difference... but are a bit like buying nice tires for an automobile.

A new instrument (guitar/bass/keyboard/etc) is typically a more exciting option.

Quality outboard channel-strips were one of the latter (more significant) pieces that I acquired.

In hindsight, I should have gotten them sooner.

Things like recording passive Fender style bass via DI (which can sound anemic/weak with a cheap DI) immediately sounds better.

ie: It's not a struggle to get it to sound full/tight and have enough "weight" to properly sit in a mix.

I struggled with this for years... trying to fix the anemic DI bass tracks with plugins.  It sounded OK... but never great.

Getting the sound "right" (up-front) is always going to work out better than trying to fix-it in the mix.

A small handful of nice outboard can make a huge difference.

You can also run existing tracks thru the outboard... and record the result to a separate track.

Some times... the extra D/A A/D is worth it... to have the character/impact from the outboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2024 at 7:33 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

From what I've watched/heard, the Behringer doesn't sound 100% identical... but it's certainly in the ball-park.

At $400, it's not much of a risk.

I'm also curious about their 1273 (two channel 1073 preamp clone).

At $700, that's about half the cost of the Warm Audio WA-273 EQ.

Behringer is a company some folks love to hate (and I can see why), but they've been releasing some good/useful products... especially the past decade.

The X32 series (and spin-offs) are widely used for live events.  Midas as well... and they tend to be in higher-end venues/scenarios.

Klark Teknik processors are surprisingly good for the cost.

The new UB-XA 16-voice analog synth is another example.  It sounds good to me (not amazing)... but it's about 1/5th the cost of an OB-X8 (and has double the polyphony).

IMO, it's fantastic for users to be able to experience Neve style outboard at such low cost.

Higher-end outboard preamps can make a significant difference... but are a bit like buying nice tires for an automobile.

A new instrument (guitar/bass/keyboard/etc) is typically a more exciting option.

Quality outboard channel-strips were one of the latter (more significant) pieces that I acquired.

In hindsight, I should have gotten them sooner.

Things like recording passive Fender style bass via DI (which can sound anemic/weak with a cheap DI) immediately sounds better.

ie: It's not a struggle to get it to sound full/tight and have enough "weight" to properly sit in a mix.

I struggled with this for years... trying to fix the anemic DI bass tracks with plugins.  It sounded OK... but never great.

Getting the sound "right" (up-front) is always going to work out better than trying to fix-it in the mix.

A small handful of nice outboard can make a huge difference.

You can also run existing tracks thru the outboard... and record the result to a separate track.

Some times... the extra D/A A/D is worth it... to have the character/impact from the outboard.

Jim,

I just the the B 1273 and LI like it.  Too bad I have two WA 1073 units because the video makes them look great.
Ex[pected October 2024