IK Get ready for iLoud MTM MKII

Larry Shelby

I recently bought a pair of these (v1) on eBay- absolutely love them. I was using ARC for final mixing with an Alesis RA100 and Tannoy PBM 6.5s and saw the ARC studio module introduced recently. While researching the ARC Studio unit I figured out the MTM's have ARC so went that route instead.

• Like 1

Prices (without tax) are:

• iLoud MTM MKII (Single) – $/€399.99* - ARC MEMS microphone not included.
  • iLoud MTM MKII (Pair) – $/€799.99 – Includes ARC MEMS microphone.
  • iLoud MTM MKII (11-Speaker Immersive Bundle) – $/€3,999.99 – Includes ARC MEMS microphone.

I've not shopped for single-speaker monitors before; are these prices in league with others? $/€399.99 for one seems a bit steep (although that may be because I've not seriously looked at similar products before).

It was too steep for me ? - that's why I found a pair on eBay. A studio I work with recently bought a pair of Yamaha HS8's for the same price. That control room is bigger and treated acoustically and the HS8's sound very good and don't fatigue us after hours of mixing but I think the MTM's would do just as well and perhaps provide more detail. I'm going to bring my MTM's over there at some point to compare. 

2 hours ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

Alesis RA100

I used to use an un-modded RA-100 to drive my passive Event 20/20's.

Then I happened upon a couple of broken vintage power amps, notably a Crown D60.  I got the D60 working and hooked it up.

The difference was stunning. Astonishing.

Up to that point, I had hand-waved solid state power amps as sounding pretty similar. (full disclosure, I am the designer of a couple of boutique tube guitar amps).

No way, no how. The stock RA-100 sounded constrained, like the stereo field was contained only to the width of the monitors. With the D60, it extended at least a foot on either side, and the center detail was much improved as well.

This piqued my curiosity, so I studied the schematic and service manual, which came with a theory description.

Details are in this post on GroupDIY. The mod can be done with a pair of flush cutters, doesn't even require turning on a soldering iron.

So don't bin the RA-100 and Tannoys (assuming you haven't yet), they may yet be useful if only for referencing or as a bedroom or workshop listening system.

• Like 2

Use the MTMs a lot. I have a pair of Focal Twin6 as mains, but the MTMs are pretty spectacular for their price / size and I often prefer to mix on them. Prior to the MTMs I had a set of Genelec 8020Ds as desktop speakers but sold them once I tried the MTMs for a week. I was very concerned about the artificial low end in the MTMs but this has not been an issue with translation, even working without a sub. (Although I do reference with the Focal's and a set of HD600 frequently...but I'm used to them enough now that it's not really necessary.) 

Absolutely amazing speakers for the price. I'm very attempted to check their Precision line against the Focals, but they haven't become available in my area yet. IK is a weird company - they have a Hosa-cable type vibe sometimes, but have been making some incredible products recently. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 5:53 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Details are in this post on GroupDIY. The mod can be done with a pair of flush cutters, doesn't even require turning on a soldering iron.

So don't bin the RA-100 and Tannoys (assuming you haven't yet), they may yet be useful if only for referencing or as a bedroom or workshop listening system.

I had seen this mod discussed but never followed up on it. Agree the stock RA100 soundstage is lacking. I didn't get rid of them so will try the mod. Thanks for links. 

EDIT - I need to buy a pair of flush cutters - what kind would be best for this mod?

Edited by Doug Steinschneider