Cakewalk does not always record when I press "R" or the record button

Midi

Question

Sometimes when I have a track armed, monitoring on or off, it will start to play down the time line with no audio playback or recording. after doing this anywhere from 5-10 times before it does record. my sample rate/bit depth are matched in cakewalk and my ur24c. I was having the same with a M-track solo as well

5 answers to this question

No recording when everything else is working would most often be due to having inadvertently enabled Punch in a region outside where the transport is.

No playback audio could be a lot of things.

Is this with audio tracks or MIDI through virtual instruments? Are track and bus meters active when this happens, and you've verified the Master bus output assigned to the correct audio output driver. Do either of the interfaces have output meters, and are they active?

It will do this even in brand new projects with punch disabled. It is happening with audio tracks. virtual tracks only there is no playback/record issue. all tracks are active and the master bus is set to the interface output. both have output meters and are sat just below the point of clipping

Have  you ever had CbB or some other DAW software working consistently on your current platform, and is it a laptop or desktop?

The only time I've had the transport and meters moving without producing output, and it wasn't due to some routing/state issue in the project, it was due to the interface driver getting into a  bad state and needing to be re-initialized by power-cycling. If it's happening consistently with two interfaces, that would suggest either some 3rd-party application/driver is interfering or there's a more general issue with USB comms/power/sleep recovery, etc. on your system. I started having problems something like this a while ago on my laptop and eventually determined the USB port was intermittently losing contact at the connector. Swapping cables didn't help and I ultimately had to move it to a USB-C port that didn't have as much wear and tear on it. If those interfaces are currently bus-powered and have the option to use external DC input, you might want to try that.

I do not have this issue in reaper or cubase with either interface. The computer i am using is only a few months old and I have tested the interfaces in all of the usb ports. It does have a usb-C input on the back. the ur24c does have a dc-5v slot  but is this just an issue within cakewalk or actually my computer since two other DAWs have worked with no issues. I much prefer cakewalks UI and that it is not cryptic with what everything is.

7 hours ago, Midi said:

cubase

Try removing the Steinberg 'Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver' from  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

I understand the UR24C is a Steinberg product, but preumably it has a dedicated ASIO driver other than the 'Generic' one that Cubase installs and that's what you have selected in Audio Devices...?

That Generic driver has been known to cause issues with Cakewalk, specifically; I don't know why.