Copy paste strangeness

jkoseattle

Question

This has only started happening to me the last few months. It's weird.

I'm in PRV and have decided that a certain passage should be in the celeste instead of the french horn. So here is my process. It's fast IRL, but I will explain in detail here for completeness sake. (Let me know if there's better way.)

1. In PRV, select the passage I want to move

2. Set loop times to match selection (Ctrl-Shift S)

3. Move shuttle to the start of the loop, which ensures it is at the exact starting point of the passage I'm moving.

4. With the passage still selected, hit Ctrl-X

5. Go to the target track

6. Hit Ctrl-V. Because the shuttle was at the exact start of the passage and I did not move it when copy-pasting, it appears in the exact same spot in time.

Most of the time this works fine. In fact, until a few months ago it always worked fine. But now quite often the notes simply don't paste at all. And yes, I've tried making sure I had the right tracks selected and everything. Just nothing. One time when I did this, the notes did appear in the target track but way later in the piece, although I only saw that once. Usually when this problem occurs just nothing pastes at all. What's going on?

3 answers to this question

I have experienced something similar before. Before you copy, make sure that the section you are copying is within a single clip (doesn't have to be a separate clip, just within a single one). Also make sure that ripple edit is off.

17 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

5. Go to the target track

How are you focusing the target? Are you clicking in the tracks pane of the Track View or of the PRV or something else? In general, I like to do track-to-track moves/copies in the track view, but I understand it might be easiar to make a partial selection in the PRV and change focus without leaving it. Ths advantage of doing it in the track view is that you can select the source material, move focus to the target track, and then cut/paste in one go without doing anything in between.

Also, I recommend binding a keyboard shortcut for 'Go to From' (was F7 by default before SONAR X1, and that's still what I use). Then all you have to do after making your selection is hit the shortcut to set the Now time. Your method should work, but the extra steps make it more error-prone as well as time-consuming.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:24 AM, David Baay said:

How are you focusing the target? Are you clicking in the tracks pane of the Track View or of the PRV or something else? In general, I like to do track-to-track moves/copies in the track view, but I understand it might be easiar to make a partial selection in the PRV and change focus without leaving it. Ths advantage of doing it in the track view is that you can select the source material, move focus to the target track, and then cut/paste in one go without doing anything in between.

Also, I recommend binding a keyboard shortcut for 'Go to From' (was F7 by default before SONAR X1, and that's still what I use). Then all you have to do after making your selection is hit the shortcut to set the Now time. Your method should work, but the extra steps make it more error-prone as well as time-consuming.

I know all about the selection trap, and have made sure that's not the problem. I thought for a while maybe I was just not being careful about which keys I was hitting, so I'm watching out for that. Also, thanks a bunch for the 'Go To From' shortcut. It was already set up by me at some point in the past looks like, and now I'm using it thanks to you, saving me some small but frequent hassle, so thank you!