Bouncing Tracks? XXT

Dibubba

Question

Hi Crew - 

A couple (hopefully!) easy questions -  I used to know how to do this, but I've forgotten.

1. I have a track, chockablock full of VST plug-ins, that is hamstringing my computer. I'd like to take that track, and "bounce" it to a new track, INCLUDING all of the FX from the VST's, and then delete the source track. How do I do this, please?

2. I have a batch of about 5 tracks, again  STUFFED with VST's. Some are stereo, some are mono. What is the easiest, not-efficient way to bounce them into a new Stereo track, capturing all the FX from the VST's, and then delete the source tracks (and recover precious CPU)?

3.  Oh, and a third one, while I'm here: I have another song, about 7 years old. Buried in that project are about 15 "Hidden" tracks - the Track Views number as if they were there, so I must have Hidden them back in 2017. How can I see them again? CTRL+H hides more, but won't undo.

These VST's seem to get hungrier and hungrier... looking for Coping Strategies as I save for a new machine. Mine was pretty-stout 10 years ago, but it shows its age, now. 🤔

Any help appreciated!

Please and Thank You! 🙂

5 answers to this question

Freeze your track or bounce to track is what you want. Check the documentation for settings. 

https://gaga.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Mixing.23.html

If you want to freeze or bounce many tracks down to one stereo track then route it to  an auxiliary track and then arm record the auxiliary track and play through the project. 

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Mixing.13.html#:~:text=Select the audio tracks you want to record to a new track.&text=Hold down the CTRL key while you click the Output,to the new Aux track.

To unhide tracks hit the 'H' key 

image.png.e79968ccf429ded4f9afcd8255e0fc50.png 

The track manager is what you use to manage hidden tracks. 

There’s lots of ways to consolidate tracks. 
For me the easiest is simply open the export dialogue and choose the pre set at the bottom “Tracks through entire mix”. And just select the tracks you want and export them as 48 or 44.1/  32 bit Wave files /no dithering. 

When the export finishes open the folder and now drag them to your project. You can delete or archive the originals. 

You can use the bounce function but I find I have more control over what happens this way. 

48 minutes ago, John Vere said:

You can delete or archive the originals.

Wanted to stress this. You don't have to delete them. Archive will remove them from processing, but they will still be available later if you need them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Wanted to stress this. You don't have to delete them. Archive will remove them from processing, but they will still be available later if you need them.

Absolutely, But myself I would have made a backup copy of the original first.   therefore no issue with deleting.  You start doing stuff like this it's best to have back up versions in the different states and store them using "save as" in a new folder. You never know. Storage is cheap, your time hopefully isn't. 

• Like 1

Select your tracks, then choose "Bounce to Track(s)" from the Track View   "Tracks" menu. 

If you want a single track containing the bounce of all the tracks, select "Entire Mix" as the Source Category.

If you want a separate track for each of the tracks selected (i.e. just a bounced version of them with the effects baked in), either select "Tracks" (which will contain only  the track/clip effects on that track),  or "Tracks through Entire Mix" which will also include any additional sends / fx in buses.

In most cases, you want the destination to be "New Track", and the Channel Format "Stereo" (which are both the default).  Then just click OK on the dialog.