Ample Guitar MII Lite - Strumming mode

Posted (edited)

I have been experimenting with Ample Guitar MII Lite, because it is free and I can't play a real guitar (Bass player)
I have discovered the strum mode and it enables me to do some things I thought I could never do

E.G.  Set a Chord then strum it in a variety of ways, pick notes on the string or even play a sequence (and there's a large library of choices Or make my own)
However, the manual is a generic for All Ample sound guitars and the Key/Note to initiate things are different in the Lite (I attach a PDF of those that interest me)
I have used an Articulation Map to set the chords and that is good visually as it shows the chords along the time line
However placing notes to strum or play a sequence in the midi section is not helpful visually. When I use a drum map there is a drum pane above the Piano roll which shows the drum mapped to a specific note.
I do not know how/why this works but it could be useful with the guitar to translate a note into what is played
e.g.  C6= DownStroke,  D5 = E string (Actual note depends on chord selected)

Now the Question.......
Can I/Should I create a Drum Map to create this translation? Or will having multiple drum maps in a project confuse things?
OR is there something else similar to a drum map which would show some text instead of notes?

Thanks

N.B Apologies the PDF is not yet correct nor complete (there is no note E# !!!!)  I will amend and upload a new one when I have made changes

Edited by Roy Slough
Corrected

i use the Ample (paid versions) guitar and bass instruments "riffer" which let's me define rhythms and riffs. but then i simply drag the MIDI into the DAW even it if's playing the same preset i built the riff in. no mapping etc needed. and i often take the base set and load it into another instrument like the RB or the 12 string and  then tweak it to sound a bit different or add effects like strokes etc. save it in that instrument, and later, drag than MIDI into the DAW for use with that instrument. i can groove loop or simply make copies. then edit to fit the arragement, maybe tweak some notes in the PRV (like any other instrument), and not fuss over some of the Ample specific things...

5 hours ago, Roy Slough said:

I have been experimenting with Ample Guitar MII Lite, because it is free and I can't play a real guitar (Bass player)
I have discovered the strum mode and it enables me to do some things I thought I could never do

E.G.  Set a Chord then strum it in a variety of ways, pick notes on the string or even play a sequence (and there's a large library of choices Or make my own)
However, the manual is a generic for All Ample sound guitars and the Key/Note to initiate things are different in the Lite (I attach a PDF of those that interest me)
I have used an Articulation Map to set the chords and that is good visually as it shows the chords along the time line
However placing notes to strum or play a sequence in the midi section is not helpful visually. When I use a drum map there is a drum pane above the Piano roll which shows the drum mapped to a specific note.
I do not know how/why this works but it could be useful with the guitar to translate a note into what is played
e.g.  C6= DownStroke,  D5 = E string (Actual note depends on chord selected)

Now the Question.......
Can I/Should I create a Drum Map to create this translation? Or will having multiple drum maps in a project confuse things?
OR is there something else similar to a drum map which would show some text instead of notes?

Thanks

N.B Apologies the PDF is not yet correct nor complete (there is no note E# !!!!)  I will amend and upload a new one when I have made changes

OK I found the best solution for me was to use note names.
Right click on the piano roll beside the "Use the assigned Instrument Setting" is a configure button. Follow this and define a new instrument.
Add a new instrument - Add note names then change from "Use the assigned Instrument Setting" to "use these note names instead" and select the new instrument note names. Then the piano roll appears as in the attached screenshot.  

I do not know where the new note names in the new instrument are stored so I cannot export them for anyone else - you'll need to create your own.
(If anyone else wants it)

CbB Piano roll with Note names.png

CbB Define Note Names.png

CbB Use these note names instead.png

• Like 2