Recording Timing

Posted (edited)

Hello having a strange issue. I'm assuming it's got to be setting but not sure.

When I record my guitar and bass along with a drum track when I finish recording I have to nudge left 2 to get track in line with drum track. This happens every time with every audio guitar or bass track. This happened after one of the updates not sure when exactly but it definitely started after and update.

Anybody have this issue?  Can someone point me in a direction to fix this issue?

Thanks

Edited by jjpish68

Some of this can do with your audio interface and the driver you are using. Make sure the update didn't install some generic ASIO driver or ASIO3All.  If you are using a windows sound card use WASPI driver.

Usually the driver reports the latency and Cakewalk adjusts the incoming audio based on the driver's information. If the driver doesn't report it correctly then you can try to adjust it manually using the following dialog in preferences.

image.png.87990be4cca968357949fb3e8a9d9006.png

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 5:54 AM, jjpish68 said:

When I record my guitar and bass along with a drum track when I finish recording I have to nudge left 2 to get track in line with drum track. This happens every time with every audio guitar or bass track.

In order to help, we'll absolutely need to know what interface you're using, make and model.

Then we need to know what settings you have for Audio/Driver Mode and Audio/Driver Settings/Playback Timing Master and Record Timing Master.

The ideal situation is that you have an interface that has a manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver, and you're using that driver.

Less-than-ideal is that you're using WASAPI.

No-no is that you're using an interface that has no native ASIO driver and you're using a "wrapper" driver such as ASIO4ALL, or the Steinberg Low Latency driver or the MAGIX Low Latency driver. That's a recipe for hassles.

If you're using WASAPI, it is known that the timing is not precise with overdubbing.

I have to nudge left 2

What does that mean? 2 what? 2 samples? 2 taps on one of the nudge keys?

This happened after one of the updates not sure when exactly but it definitely started after and update.

Technically, all issues start after some update or other. As long as you've updated your system at least once, that is.

What's important is that you're having an issue now, and barring time travel, fixing it now is what you need to do.