a few Blue Logitec Mics on sale; $80, $164

e-cue

• 1 month later...

Shows 399 for the Baby bottle to me.

But 139 for the Bluebird, that’s more than a steal, it’s a heinous crime! (Means it’s very very good).

Edited by Last Call
  • Like 1

I got a pair of the blackout Sparks, and a pair of the Baby Bottles, and now 4 of the Bluebirds.  I have no real opinion of these yet. I have been keeping my eye on the Blueberry, which I feel is a bit of a sleeper mic, and could be a great value if on sale.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e-cue said:

I got a pair of the blackout Sparks, and a pair of the Baby Bottles, and now 4 of the Bluebirds.  I have no real opinion of these yet. I have been keeping my eye on the Blueberry, which I feel is a bit of a sleeper mic, and could be a great value if on sale.  

Woo-hoo, e-cue, you went all in!

I bumped the deal partly because it seemed like nobody else had jumped on it and now I'm extra glad I did.

Curious about the difference(s) between the 'bird and the Bottle. I went with the Bottle 'cause I had had a great experience with one 20 years ago in a recording studio, it being used to record my guitar as a demo clip for my own Crucible Fuzzes.

I had thought I could do it at home, y'know, point my trusty SM56 at the cone of my vintage Fender Champ and let rip, but it sounded, frankly, like hell. I mean, questioning why I ever thought I was any good at recording hell. I doubt anyone else can relate to that feeling when something sounds awesome in the room, but through your best mic and board and mic placement copied from half a dozen interviews with classic rockers and engineers, it sounds like someone brought their 1972 Panasonic cassette deck in and used its internal mic with the AGC on.

Of course, now people earn real money intentionally getting that sound, but that was not what I was after. I might be able to recreate it though....shoot, maybe I'll make an IR of it.

Took prototype fuzzbox over to my friend Myles Boisen's Guerilla Recording. Myles, who had/has written many a mic review article for EM, Mix, and Tape Op, rolled out his silver panel Fender Pro Reverb and hung a single mic that looked like something Clark Kent would use for field work about 18" above the front of the grille cloth. Then he put a set of headphones on me and in about 5 minutes I had the clips of me playing "I Wanna Be Your Dog" that I wanted. It sounded great.

Not that anyone here would, but dang, never underestimate the skill and efficiency of someone who has placed microphones just about every day for decades. Fun fact: they get pretty good at it.

It was of course an early, Latvian Baby Bottle, and I've kind of wanted one ever since but figured they were out of reach of my cheapskate budget. I can do a brand new Logitech made in China version for under $200 just fine, though. It's the first mic I've ever bought brand new.

Pity that Logitech seems to have Gibson'd the brand and its studio-oriented products. I hate to see a good veteran brand (and product line) go down.

This article from a year ago says that Logitech's intention was to drop the Blue branding and rename the line Yeti, but I don't see any studio mics on Logitech's mic page, only gamer/YouTuber USB models (and a single dynamic non-USB mic).

It's so hard for a specialty product to share a corporate roof with mass-market products. The numbers will kill it every time. Why devote resources to a line that while profitable, may only bring in a fraction of the bucks that OEM'ing a mouse for every HP and Logitech computer does, then selling yet another mouse on the aftermarket to go with the same computer? Someone probably did research among their target customers and found that "Yeti" had better recognition than "Blue." Let's hope that nobody buys Shure and renames the line "SM7B."

All that Blue mic tooling over in China not being used any more....seems like it could be put to use by someone clever enough to do so. Were I but younger and had the energy....it's not as if it's a big part of Chinese business culture to protect trademarks like the physical shape of a microphone.