Plug in issues!

Posted (edited)

Not 100% of what you are trying to show.  Here's what I see: You have SI-Drums on Track 1 with a LABS Plug-in turned off in the FX Bin.  Then when you turn the LABS Plug-in on in the FX Bin, the Drums disappear.

Is LABS an FX Plug-in?  Are you using it for the purpose of adding an effect to the kit being played from SI-Drums? If so, how is the LABS Plug-in set up (i.e., routed)?

I have some LABS things that I never use (except to listen to them), but the ones I have are sounds not FX.

UPDATE:  I did exactly what you did.  Try putting an FX plug-in (not an instrument/audio plug-in ) in the FX Bin.

PS: You can see on the right side (the Browser), you have Instruments selected.  While some instruments can also be used as FX plug-ins, I am not sure that LABS instruments can.  I'd suggest trying some of the Audio FX.

Edited by User 905133
added an update and a PS

You have a delay between pressing a note and the sounding of your guitar against the rest of the recorded music?  That is latency caused by your soft synth’s processing.  The delay can be shortened but usually not eliminated . Read up on latency and work arounds.

50 minutes ago, Adrian Ordean said:

When I want to record a guitar with a cabinet plugin and a delay, I press inputEcho on. There is a big delay, I can't synchronize with the tempo of the song. How do I resolve this in Sonar? Thank you

You might have your audio interface's buffer size set to a large value. Or, you're not using an ASIO driver for your interface, with which you can usually get the lowest latency, depending on what type of plugins you have in your project tracks.

20 hours ago, ReginaC said:

Hello all - I'm VERY new to cakewalk and I am just getting to grips with the basics and trying some things out. 

so some basics:

you have 2 soft synths (virtual instruments) = SI Drums & LABS - they produce sound based on MIDI notes. they are not "effects" (FX). so they belong in the synth rack. like where you have the SI Drums.

then you need either 2 instrument tracks, or 2 audio + 2 MIDI tracks in order to provide the MIDI and also hear the output of the instrument. nothing needs to go into the FX Bin at this point.

if you like, you can directly create the instrument track and assign the instrument using the insert track dialog.

image.png.23c64f2b7d04ae532f47d086e997e938.png

do this for the drums and the LABS instrument.

LABS let's you use a number of libraries - so open the LABS synth and select your instrument.

you should now be ready to add your MIDI to each track to drive your instruments.

for drums - dragging MIDI clips is useful, using the CW step sequencer works.

for LABS, you might use clips or perform using your keyboard, or using the Piano Roll View (PRV), directly add and edit notes.

• Great Idea 1