Rigid Audio - free Grand Piano

TracingArcs

Posted (edited)

The open source samples the developer is using of the Salamander Grand Piano are probably 20 years old,  an era when people regularly only sampled a few notes per octave and stretched the notes for other keys. It doesn't compare to the quality of modern piano libraries. I don't believe the library has round robin samples and other features of modern piano libraries. Big Cat converted the library to KONTAKT around 15 years ago. It's nicely done for the era its from -- especially for a free library from hobbyists --but nowhere near the quality of modern commercial sample libraries from professional developers that you can get for free like 8Dio's 1926 Scoring Piano or SonicCouture's Hammersmith Free, easily my two favorite free piano libraries for KONTAKT, both of which rival paid offerings from these two excellent sample developers.  On a sidenote, I find it not exactly very cool that this developer renamed the sample library after his business when he only did a KONTAKT port of the Salamander library someone else put their time and energy into. I'm not sure about the rules for Creative Commons files with regard to that, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Create the port, promote it to get links and attention for your for-profit business, but it's just a port of the Salamander Grand Piano library, don't take credit for someone else's work by renaming it after your business.  

Here's the same Salamader library samples Rigid Audio is using in the open source SFZ format:  https://sfzinstruments.github.io/pianos/salamander

Edited by PavlovsCat