Untitled Project counter?

When I start a new project from a template, the project is now up to the name "Untitled Project 23."

I'm used to the number only incrementing if there's an existing "Untitled Project" in my Cakewalk Projects folder.

I've done a search of all of the drives in my system and can't find a file with "Untitled Project" in its name anywhere.

Knowing how these things are, there must be an upper limit, maybe 256 or 999 and I'm used to seeing "Untitled Project2" as an indication that there's a stray "Untitled Project1" in my Cakewalk Projects folder.

How does this number get incremented and how do I reset it?

(Using Sonar, not CbB these days)

It will only exists if you saved it with that name. Otherwise if you close with out saving it’s gone. I have never seen a project with that title. 
All new projects will be saved to your default location set in preferences. 

The only other thing I can think of is if you have Auto save turned on I’m not sure where and if that would get saved under that name? 

The way that I'm used to it working is that unless I immediately saved a project with a name of my choosing, a new project (started from the Start Screen) would have the name "Untitled Project1" until I saved it, at which time CbB would prompt for a name of my choosing.

If the program crashed or otherwise exited in a non-standard way, I'd end up with Untitled Project1 in my Cakewalk Projects folder, and if I didn't delete or rename it before starting another project, the next project would be called "Untitled Project2."

Now for some reason, I'm up to Untitled Project23 and I'm trying to figure out why.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm used to the number only incrementing if there's an existing "Untitled Project" in my Cakewalk Projects folder.

I checked CbB, and Platinum and they both increment the project number every time you create new one whether the previous one has been saved or discarded. The only difference is that New Sonar increments the number again when you exit the project because the Start Screen uses a 'hidden' project to play previews and creates a new one every time it opens. So the number effectively increments twice as fast.

It only resets when you close Sonar.

Edited by David Baay

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I checked CbB, and Platinum and they both increment the project number every time you create new one whether the previous one has been saved or discarded.

If that's so, then why did my "Untitled Project" number never rise beyond 2 in 6 years of using Cakewalk by BandLab?

Also, on my laptop, it's only up to "UntitledProject2." And yes, I have created many new projects on both of my DAW systems.

Really confused here....

Edited by Starship Krupa

As I say I’ve actually never seen a saved untitled project? 
While testing things I have opened hundreds of blank or Basic templates, messed around for even an hour and then I just close off and when it asks me to save I just say no and it’s gone forever. 
I’ve had a few of these crash on me as well when testing funky free plug ins. 
So it seems to me you would have to actually save it with out naming it to create a project that has that title? 

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

it seems to me you would have to actually save it with out naming it to create a project that has that title?

Seems that way to me, too. I've never saved anything as "Untitled Project[x]," although I have found "Autosaved Copy of (Untitled).cwp" files after crashes.

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

If that's so, then why did my "Untitled Project" number never rise beyond 2 in 6 years of using Cakewalk by BandLab?

I don't know. I easily got both Platinum and CbB into the double digits by repeatedly starting and immediately abandoning new projects. I've never paid much attention to the Untitled index so I can't otherwise say what it's done in the past. Possibly some shared component has been updated that affected all of them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

Did you ever figure this out? What happens if you search your Windows system for "Untitled Project 22?"

The issue went away as mysteriously as it appeared.

And yes, I searched my system multiple times for files named Untitled Project*.*

21 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The issue went away as mysteriously as it appeared.

Weird. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." To that we can add "If the problem leaves on its own, don't chase it."

• Like 1