New HD re installing CWBL and plugs?

Posted (edited)

If this is the wrong place for this I apologize .       

Also, hopefully, install NEW Sonar perpetual whenever that happens.

I understand it's almost always better to just start over but Jeezz, such a pain. 
Have a new Samsung SSD 980 Pro 1TB. Would rather clone than re install everything. 
All SSD's are Samsung SSD 980's and 990 pro's. 3 of them installed. One for samples and one for audio and one for Windows. Is Samsung migration a good choice to clone (migrate?) the C drive to new drive. I do have True Image 2021 also. Also not apposed to buying a different app if need be but I am hoping Samsung Magician migration is OK.

****I am also wondering best way to do it. Where should the (target) NEW DRIVE BE-internal, external??? 

Thanks Hope this makes sense...................

Edited by Pathfinder

Posted (edited)

Yes I did this a year ago. My data drive was getting real slow and as a result Cakewalk was taking forever to open or save. I discovered the issue after looking into possibilities and I found out about the Magician. It quickly showed the issue was with my Data G drive. 
I bought two 500 GB SSD Evo 860’s and used the Samsung Magician to clone the C and G drives. Took all of 30 minutes. the computer was obviously way faster afterwards. 

I put the 2 old drives on the shelf for a few  weeks just to be sure all was good. Then I did a slow re format of the old drives to use them elsewhere and they both perked back up. They are only 2 years old. 
I now run the Magician ever once in a while to check on my drives. You can even save the test results to compare. 
What I learned was SSD drives even if only 1/2 full can slow down due to read and write cycles. Apparently Video editing is a heavy cycle user. I’m sure audio editing is too. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done this several times... 500GB to 1TB, to 2TB then finally to 4TB.    

I use CloneZilla to clone the old drive to a new one (using a USB to SATA converter for the new drive), then replace the old drive with the new one.

Then I use PartitionWizard to resize the partitions afterwards to make use of the extra space.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I've done this several times... 500GB to 1TB, to 2TB then finally to 4TB.    

I use CloneZilla to clone the old drive to a new one (using a USB to SATA converter for the new drive), then replace the old drive with the new one.

Then I use PartitionWizard to resize the partitions afterwards to make use of the extra space.

I was wondering where I would have the target drive while doing this. Now I know. I have plenty of very fast eternal housings\cables. I also wouldn't care if it took all.

And I am going from 500GB to 1TB so that is part of the reason- Since all my drives a re Samsung drives I will go with Samsung Magician since it worked for John V. I do have a few different partition manager\editors type apps also.

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

Another thing I use the Magician for is you run the disk analyzer and save ( Export) the performance  benchmark and then in 6 months or so you can review this and compare to see if your drive is slowing down. 

• Great Idea 2

@John V and Msmcleod

so after I am done I will install into NVME2 slot the NEW drive and take out the old.

Question: Will the PC automatically recognize the new drive ? Is there something I need to do in the bios first? I can but just checking it has been so long.

Thank guys

16 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

@John V and Msmcleod

so after I am done I will install into NVME2 slot the NEW drive and take out the old.

Question: Will the PC automatically recognize the new drive ? Is there something I need to do in the bios first? I can but just checking it has been so long.

Thank guys

Sometimes windows does automatically, sometimes it doesn't.  You have to read up on your specific PC's requirements.  I've got a thinkstation p320, and it supports nvme/m2 drives, but you have to buy a bracket and update the motherboards drivers to make it the main OS drive.  If I don't do that, then it's used as a regular storage drive by the system.  So check your systems paperwork or online forum, and that should tell you right away. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I was wondering where I would have the target drive while doing this. Now I know. I have plenty of very fast eternal housings\cables. I also wouldn't care if it took all.

And I am going from 500GB to 1TB so that is part of the reason- Since all my drives a re Samsung drives I will go with Samsung Magician since it worked for John V. I do have a few different partition manager\editors type apps also.

As I said, I used a USB to SATA adapter:

image.png.c96c27351617e47856108b7ca8edb3e5.png

Once Clonezilla has started up, I just plug the new drive into a spare USB-3 slot.

One reason for going for Clonezilla, is:

1. It's Linux based, so it doesn't care (unlike Windows) that at the end of the copy, you have two drives with identical partition ID's and two identical copies of Windows.

2. It actually copies the partition ID's too.  I've used a couple of OS transfer apps in the past, and they didn't do this - the OS worked, but I ended up having to re-auth a bunch of software because it thought it was now installed on a different machine.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I’ve never cloned an NVM drive as I just got my start with them last November with my new machine I built. I’m not sure if there’s adapters for USB to NVM? Never thought of that but ! 

I have 2 slots so I would think I would temporarily pull the Data drive from its slot, install the new drive and the the Magician would choose that as the target drive. The C drive would be cloned to the new drive. 
I would shut down , pull the old C drive and swap  the new drive over to that slot, put the data drive back in its slot and boot up. 
I think windows will look for C drive in the same dive slot and it should be just fine. 
By right’s Windows will sort of be unaware anything happened. Just a few registry changes to acknowledge the new serial numbers and capacity. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I’ve never cloned an NVM drive as I just got my start with them last November with my new machine I built. I’m not sure if there’s adapters for USB to NVM? Never thought of that but ! 

Used one of those when I upgraded my laptop drive... they slide open and you fit the NVM drive inside:

image.png.339c9fbfcf8c63be9ffc7e0c2dfd4e64.png

• Like 2

Just for info:

It's an Asus Prime Z590-A MB. All NVME 2 slots are filled, one of them being the c drive. Full disclosure-I used to  admin Systems in Country clubs and other places. But tis was back around 2005. I really don't remember much of what I used to know

I do still put my own towers together which actually is no big deal. I do have a nice laptop (Asus also) So I'll just give it a shot with my DAW and go from there. Worst case scenario I figure is shutting down and having to put the original SSD C drive back in original slot which should not change anything or cause any issues

Thanks again everyone . I will post back.
I do have Clonezilla, Aomei partition asst, Acronis True Image and samsung Magician. Why I have no idea. I do use magician every few days to check things and Aomei to do stuff on the drives.

So Samsung Magician does NOT recognize the USB connected SSD. So I cannot select it as a target. Aomei immediately recognized-how weird.

I am going to try Clonezilla now-Jeeezz. Aomei seemed very capable but some steps I thought were weird. If Clonezilla isn't straightforward I'll just use Aomei Partition Asst Pro.

Posted (edited)

OK LIke I said I forgot an awful lot-So the new C drive has a d drive letter assigned . when I pull the existing C drive and put the new one in the ssd slot there will be no C drive for PC to boot?  So, since Aomei said all migration was successfully completed I will have to believe it so first I can delete the partition on the old c drive, change to letter to q or whatever. Then I can change to New drive letter to C? Hmmm-Getting old is not always fun!

Edited by Pathfinder

OK I give up. i CANNOT boot to UEFI bios. I tried everything I found on the web. Fast start is off. Problem is I have no idea which slot the Boot drive is in. Guess I could remove everything but this really stinks. Oh well. 

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

As I said, I used a USB to SATA adapter:

image.png.c96c27351617e47856108b7ca8edb3e5.png

Once Clonezilla has started up, I just plug the new drive into a spare USB-3 slot.

One reason for going for Clonezilla, is:

1. It's Linux based, so it doesn't care (unlike Windows) that at the end of the copy, you have two drives with identical partition ID's and two identical copies of Windows.

2. It actually copies the partition ID's too.  I've used a couple of OS transfer apps in the past, and they didn't do this - the OS worked, but I ended up having to re-auth a bunch of software because it thought it was now installed on a different machine.

Hey MsMcleod, I've got that same dongle, and tried to use it last night with a HDD I have.  I wanted to back up my system to another drive other than my normal backup drive.  They system would see it, but it wouldn't spin up.  Is there anything else you're using with this dongle?  It's a regular WD HDD blue drive, 3.5, if that helps.

Well, finally shorted the 2 pins by cmos battery (should have done that from the get go, just been a long while. There was a Feb 2024 BIOS update on ASUS site so I downloaded it. Nice since my MB is from 2021.

So I updated the bios and all is well.

Last step will be, DOES the PC boot from the cloned C drive-We'll see.

Thanks very much folks-Greatly appreciated

• Like 1