Snap to Measure

Can I set up Cakewalk to snap to measures when editing clips? ie) I want to copy 8 measures of my bass line and add them to same or another clip keeping measures intact. 

Posted (edited)

You mean when pasting rather than when drag-copying? Clips will paste to the current Now time, and the Now cursor will follow the snap resolution when you click in the timeline. And if you use Ctrl+Alt+C to Paste Special, you have additional options to paste into existing clips, paste multiple copies, etc.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2

let's say I want the bass line (4 measures long) to be copied 6 times so I don't have to play over and over. How do I copy and paste the 4 measure long bass line so it will start at the start of a measure and then continue to copy. I want all copy and paste to start on the downbeat of the measure not somewhere else of cakewalks choosing. Sonar had a snap to measure function which I can't find in Cakewalk. It allowed me to copy, then paste to the beginning of a new measure, not the "now" time. Hope this clears up any confusion.   

23 minutes ago, michaelrb said:

let's say I want the bass line (4 measures long) to be copied 6 times so I don't have to play over and over. How do I copy and paste the 4 measure long bass line so it will start at the start of a measure and then continue to copy. I want all copy and paste to start on the downbeat of the measure not somewhere else of cakewalks choosing. Sonar had a snap to measure function which I can't find in Cakewalk. It allowed me to copy, then paste to the beginning of a new measure, not the "now" time. Hope this clears up any confusion.   

Set snapping to whole note (or whatever one you need).  Highlight the section you want to copy, press control, click and drag to the spot you want in your session.

20 hours ago, David Baay said:

You mean when pasting rather than when drag-copying? Clips will paste to the current Now time, and the Now cursor will follow the snap resolution when you click in the timeline. And if you use Ctrl+Alt+C to Paste Special, you have additional options to paste into existing clips, paste multiple copies, etc.

Sorry David, hadn't seen your reply when I posted.