Best MIDI keyboard for Cakewalk/Sonar (and possibly any DAW)

hockeyjx

Unfortunately, I have credit with a chain that is going out of business. The biggest thing I think I'd like is  MIDI keyboard ...so what works best Cakewalk/Sonar and possibly an DAW I may use. Basically meaning the most compatible with all DAWS. Polyphonic aftertouch seems like useful feature. But any feedback is appreciated.

Also, what kind of "little" things for a studio might be a good grab?

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

my main keyboard is usually my Kurzweil Stage 88. great sounds, MIDI in and out, great keyboard feel (weighted Fatar keys - easy to maintain). it's great to have 88 keys when your composing/arranging since you don't have to switch octaves on the controller (like a smaller keyboard would), and with key splits having multiple instruments on a single set of keys is very handy. bass-piano, cello-violin, etc combos are really nice when you're working out arragements.

i like the idea of the Arturia Keylab 88 (as it also has the weighted Fatar keys and some additional controls) but it's like 3x the price of the essentials... 

my current keyboard (due to space constraints at the moment) is my Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2. nice feel, useful with Komplete Kontrol software to work out instrumentation and with the keyswitch indicators, nice feature. if i was in the market for another Komplete Kontrol, i'd get the S88 Mk3.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

Roland A49 if you are not a real keyboard player. More than enough keys for hackers like me and it is small enough to stay on my desk. It only has a couple of assignable knobs so a lot definitely depends on if you want a controller or just a musical instrument.