Video Killed the Radio Star - Rock COVER

PavlovsCat

I recorded this over a year ago, but was never happy with my mix (SPOILER: I have almost no idea what I'm doing and have a major hearing loss that makes me a very poor choice for a mixer, but I'm all I can afford). So I decided to try remixing it and now I actually like it. Although, my voice and a lot of other things are clipping, it still sounds far better than previous mixes -- possibly even (relatively) pretty good. 

Also I could use advice on smart strategies for reducing levels on everything at once when you have clipping issues, but otherwise like the mix (as that's my situation with this mix). 

Hi

This is a pretty good cover - on the mix, if me I would try and do something re the sibilance first - sounds like you might have  a lot of compression on the vocals - when I have issues with everything getting too near the red zone - and it happens quite a bit - for instance on a track I am working on at the moment for our new album, had real issues with that - what I do is make sure first all tracks are OK, not too loud and not clipping - also they are all panned correctly - I use Pan Knob by Boz Digital for this. I try not to have any tracks with too much compression on them if possible.

Then i pull all the bus levels down and slowly adjust to get a better but quieter overall  mix

I always mix into my master bus which always has Cytomic Glue on it - nothing else - I look for around 4db compression - just enough to keep everything level

Apart from the clipping issues, enjoyed this - cool

Nigel

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 6:45 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi

This is a pretty good cover - on the mix, if me I would try and do something re the sibilance first - sounds like you might have  a lot of compression on the vocals - when I have issues with everything getting too near the red zone - and it happens quite a bit - for instance on a track I am working on at the moment for our new album, had real issues with that - what I do is make sure first all tracks are OK, not too loud and not clipping - also they are all panned correctly - I use Pan Knob by Boz Digital for this. I try not to have any tracks with too much compression on them if possible.

Then i pull all the bus levels down and slowly adjust to get a better but quieter overall  mix

I always mix into my master bus which always has Cytomic Glue on it - nothing else - I look for around 4db compression - just enough to keep everything level

Apart from the clipping issues, enjoyed this - cool

Nigel

For some reason I'm not getting notifications on my song subforum threads, so I'm just seeing your post today.  Thanks much for the advice,  I'll definitely be putting it to use. You know that I really enjoy your music (I played your latest track for my wife, who, as expected,  also enjoyed it) and, in addition to the top notch songwriting, playing and singing,  it's also very well mixed and mastered, so I'm well aware that you know this area well and appreciate you taking the time to offer it. 

Another great memory - thanks for covering it - you're version is really cool!  Love the vocal.

Best advice I can give on clipping is to address it a track at a time and handle it during recording rather than afterward wherever possible.  If you keep an eye on it throughout the process, you won't have to deal with it at the end.  RX10 also handles de-clip very well if you need it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...