Request: Undo per channel/bus

M@t

Posted (edited)

One specific example where this would come in handy for me is time/phase aligning multi-tracked drums. I might be shifting snare-top and bottom to match and then 'at the same time' be aligning the overheads to work with kick and snare. This means shifting back and forth several times between offsets which sound best. Here it would be great if one could for example undo the last (1,2,3-10) changes made on say the overheads. 

As these are usually stereo and put in a group it would be ideal if this type of undo would also keep track of changes made within grouped tracks.

The undo protocol only allows chronological undo which to me sometimes is a pita.

Anyone else experience this or is it just my peculiar workflow..

Edited by M@t
Added tag

I agree as I have often needed to undo a change that happened to a completely different track or part than the one I’m now working on that I’ve put in 1/2 hour of work on. I’ve probably saved a bunch of times as well. It would be way back. 
I guess the feature would be a long  list of current changes that you open and could see and choose the one item that needed undoing. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 11:11 PM, M@t said:

Anyone else experience this or is it just my peculiar workflow..

Per Track Undo sounds like a logistical nightmare, how would you remember the undo state of every track/buss and what happens when you need to globally undo something?  

For phase aligning multi miked drums it's easier to use a plugin such as Waves InPhase as you're adjusting things inside plugin and not editing the track which makes easier to  bypass or change after the fact.

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Per Track Undo sounds like a logistical nightmare, how would you remember the undo state of every track/buss and what happens when you need to globally undo something?  

Exactly this. 

The undo mechanism only works because it can reverse a command based on a known global state.  Most commands affect more than just one track as even a single track operation affects the underlying routing graph - which has to be global.

Undo's have to be performed in order, so that when you call the next undo the project is in exactly the same state as it was when you finished executing that command.

It's like trying to ask for the primer to be changed without removing the top coat.

If you want different undo's for mixing decisions, take a look at Mix Recall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1