Export tracks of different lengths from same project

Soundman32

Question

I'm remastering an old album, and have all 20 tracks loaded in 1 project.  I've added the relevant mastering plugins to each channel, and now want to export each track.

I've tried each of the 'Tracks' based presets, but I always end up with a WAV file that is the length of the longest track.  Obviously, each track is a different length, so I end up with, in some cases, minutes of silence at the end of some tracks.

Is there a way to create a track WAV that is the length of the actual track?

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

just create an export task for each track - set it to the type and length you need. for me - i create WAV export task (first, then clone for the MP3) and an MP3 export task (where i added the track metadata as well as select the rate, quality etc etc settings). so for a 10 2-track project - 20 export tasks. once i'm done just select and run them all. and if i need to tweak something, i make the adjustments on the track then simply re-export. easy peasy.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Posted (edited)

As a professional mastering engineer, I'd recommend this process:

1. Put all songs on one track in sequential order (optional with individual start/end fade markers, or Arranger sections for each song length, with a digital black buffer between). This allows you to skip/jump listen from track to track and review for consistency of the entire project.

2. Put all mastering plugins on the Master bus output and make plugin tweaks there using automation. This allows for consistency in the output, and reduces strain on the engine over 'individual track processing'.

3. Follow Glenns suggestion for Export Task setup using either the start/end markers or Arranger sections as export length.

4. Convert to other formats (mp3, etc.) post-facto.

Edited by OutrageProductions

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 2:20 PM, OutrageProductions said:

1. Put all songs on one track in sequential order (optional with individual start/end fade markers, or Arranger sections for each song length, with a digital black buffer between). This allows you to skip/jump listen from track to track and review for consistency of the entire project.

in my approach i do one per track but the tracks are staggered to represent the entire "record" so playing or exporting as a single 2-track i can check for consistency, gaps/fades. markers for stop and start times, fades (in or out), etc. and still be able to tweak on track by track basis. i'll use clip gain in lieu of volume automation on tracks so i can move the clips as needed while keeping the gain automation.

edit: probably in the future i'll use the arranger per track/clip to allow faster swapping of arrangement.

Clipboard_05-18-2024_03.thumb.jpg.860a861038f907a313d3e5e7e4bb3be6.jpg

Clipboard_05-18-2024_01.thumb.jpg.1fb88b1cc02bfb9084d5fc3e92bfaa10.jpg

Edited by Glenn Stanton