Routing stereo audio track into channels based on panning

My scenario: I'm recording a guitar with two mics and usually record this on two separate tracks so that I can process them separately. When editing takes this is less than ideal but it's how I've been working for a while now, but I'm looking to improve my workflow. So I'm looking to split them up based on panning so that I can edit takes simultaneously. 

Attempted solution: I've recorded a track as a stereo audio file and created two buses - one for left and one for right. In each of these buses I've added a channel matrix which only allows through the left or right channel, accordingly. The buses are sent pre-fader and the track's volume is turned to -inf.

The problem: when I solo eg the L channel, I can still hear a tiny bit of what is supposed to be on the right.

Questions:

1. Is there something obvious I might have done wrong that means what I'm expecting to be on the right channel is slightly within the left too, making them impossible to separate?

2. Is there a better solution?

Thanks guys!

I often record guitars with 2 mics and I record them in two different tracks like you.

After recording you could select the 2 clips and in the CLIPS menu choose "create clip selection group".

Now, as soon as you select one of the clips both become selected and you can do quicker editing.

Regards,

Giorgio

2 hours ago, Giorgio Gabriel said:

After recording you could select the 2 clips and in the CLIPS menu choose "create clip selection group".

Or use the option to group while recording in Record options which will also group multiple takes for comping.

3 hours ago, Sam said:

2. Is there a better solution?

I would recommend grouping, but if you really want to  do it with left/right channels of a stereo track, Send to Aux Tracks instead of buses and set each track Input to only the left or right channel of the patch point.