a' Reggae Music - remixed

Larry T.

Posted (edited)

Hi All. Here's a comparison showing the difference two years can make (or maybe not lol). The first song is a remix called a' Reggae Music. The second is the original mix I did a little over two years ago. All done in CbB. Looking back at the way I did things two yeas ago is a real eye opener. The old mix has no buses. A bit of saturation on all the lead guitar parts. And the list goes on. Any comments or questions welcomed.

2024 remix: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/a-reggae-music

2022 original mix: *file removed*

sunnset_Jamaica 640x480.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, electric and acoustic guitars, DI bass, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, SI Drums by CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 2

• Larry T. changed the title to a' Reggae Music - remixed

Hey larry, nice job on the new mix! There's a real sense of spaciousness in the new mix and everything sits together more cohesively. Step by step right?

By the way, ambient reggae is a new genre to me. I like it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 7:20 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

Hey larry, nice job on the new mix! There's a real sense of spaciousness in the new mix and everything sits together more cohesively. Step by step right?

By the way, ambient reggae is a new genre to me. I like it.

Thanks Kevin. Yes, step by step is 100% the only way to do a decent mix. There are no shortcuts.

I can say that two years ago I didn't have the ability to hear music as a mixing engineer does. Then, it was all emotion based as most musicians approach music in that way. To mix a song requires experience and discipline, so, I've got only two years of that but looking forward to developing further. 

Thanks again for listening and the kind words????

Hi Larry,  the newer version has a lot more presence to it, maybe because of better reverb use or something.  I'm not much of an audio engineer, but I can tell when something sounds better!  Good job.

-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 11:33 PM, bjornpdx said:

Hi Larry,  the newer version has a lot more presence to it, maybe because of better reverb use or something.  I'm not much of an audio engineer, but I can tell when something sounds better!  Good job.

-Bjorn

Hi Larry - agree with Bjorn 100% Great job

well done

Nigel

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 2:33 PM, bjornpdx said:

-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn. I trained my listening to hear as a mixing engineer instead of a musician. I realized that I knew all the notes in the song but that all the notes weren't clearly presented for a listener to easily hear them.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:47 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Larry - agree with Bjorn 100% Great job

well done

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.

On 5/20/2024 at 5:55 AM, Wookiee said:

Listening to te remix, very laid back reggae, mix works fine here. 

Thanks Wookiee.

On 5/20/2024 at 5:56 AM, John Maar said:

What a difference two years makes! It's like the remix fits great and the original is a pair of pants a size too small. Excellent clarity and use of space.

Thanks John. If anyone doubts the importance of a good mix this comparison shows how much improvement can be done.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:14 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Nicely done, Larry.  Keep the progress going!

Thanks Lynn.

• Like 1