Silky, silky GAS

Anxiousmofo

More effective gobos in the studio (especially home)?

An "enclosed" drum booth or an "enclosed" vocal booth that aren't susceptible to heat buildup?

Could AI have come up with that?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I actually find this image disturbing. One dude is sleeping while another dude is rocking the room. Yet we are told that this silk curtain quiets the noise. Yeah, right. Like the walls, floor and ceiling don't convey vibrations. In the Emperor's new clothes, a child's voice was heard. Here, we see a baby helplessly crying in the bed, but no one can hear it.

MIT-Acoustic-Fiber-01-press_0.jpg?itok=F

I guess, for the curtain to effectively veil the noise in the room, it must come with a loud drum kit and a furious, passionate drummer behind it. Or any other source of loud audible vibrations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I actually find this image disturbing. One dude is sleeping while another dude is rocking the room. Yet we are told that this silk curtain quiets the noise. Yeah, right. Like the walls, floor and ceiling don't convey vibrations. In the Emperor's new clothes, a child's voice was heard. Here, we see a baby helplessly crying in the bed, but no one can hear it.

I guess, for the curtain to effectively veil the noise in the room, it must come with a loud drum kit and a furious, passionate drummer behind it. Or any other source of loud audible vibrations.

From the article: "When they tested the silk fabric in direct suppression mode, the researchers found that it could significantly reduce the volume of sounds up to 65 decibels (about as loud as enthusiastic human conversation). In vibration-mediated suppression mode, the fabric could reduce sound transmission up to 75 percent."

That's 12 dB, which is significant, but certainly won't help an acoustic drum set (~110 dB).  I wonder how effective multiple layers could be.

Cool tech, though.

1 hour ago, ALC said:

From the article: "When they tested the silk fabric in direct suppression mode, the researchers found that it could significantly reduce the volume of sounds up to 65 decibels (about as loud as enthusiastic human conversation). In vibration-mediated suppression mode, the fabric could reduce sound transmission up to 75 percent."

That's 12 dB, which is significant, but certainly won't help an acoustic drum set (~110 dB).  I wonder how effective multiple layers could be.

Cool tech, though.

Isn't it a spherical cow? Walls, floor and ceiling are taken out of the equation. To completely isolate oneself from outer noises, one would have to agree to abide in a water tight cage, made of this fabric. Since voltage must be applied to it as well, this Faraday cage can be extremely dangerous.