Need help: MIDI via Tascam Model 12

Hey folks:

Gonna apologize for what is probably a noob goof/question.

Have used SONAR for ages, now updating my equipment and getting everything up and running again (I'm out of practice).  Using the latest Cakewalk which is a bit new to me, though most of it I remember.  I've also gotten a new Tascam Model-12 mixer/interface, so trying to get those cooperating.

Mooooostly it's working.  Instruments play straight through the interface fine.  Also, with old MIDI files, those work fine, and playback through my 2 synths just fine.  Also Cakewalk plays audio files just fine.  Good, good, good.  Everything's connected and communicating.

But...what I can't seem to figure out is new inputs.  So I've got one synth which I both use straight and as a controller for a second synth module.  Everything feeds into the Tascam, then Cakewalk and back again.  Like I said, all  output is fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Cakewalk to register input from the synth.  It neither picks up recordings, not allows signals to go through (it will neither play the main synth straight, nor allow it to signal to the second synth module). 

Input echo/auto through is on (doesn't matter if I turn it off).  Input channel is set to the Tascam Model 12 Omni (I've fiddled with other channels, to no avail).  Output also set to the Model 12, again playing with the channels doesn't seem to matter (theoretically I'd assume these should go to the channels set on the 2 synths).  I've got the track selected.

The other possible riddle is the Tascam itself.  So it's got input modes for live and PC.  If I set it to live, of course, the main synth plays what I play as I play it.  However, setting it to PC, it plays nothing audible, but I do see it signal that its getting signal (whether that's still direct from the synth, or indirect from the PC, I'm not sure...I have an analog synth that isn't hooked up to the PC that still shows signal even when I switch to PC, so alas...).

There's probably just something in the new Cakewalk I'm not hitting.  In the old SONAR you could just select the track and it would work...but maybe I need to hit something more in Cakewalk.

Any thoughts would be welcome!