COVER of Procol Harum "Whiter Shade of Pale"

PavlovsCat

This is my cover of Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale.  I welcome any advice on improving the mix (unfortunately, I can't do much to improve the vocalist or musician). 

Thanks, Peter

Edited by PavlovsCat

Oooh now covering this could be considered as extremely brave - even sacrilegious in some circles - but I think you did an amazing job with it. Nothing to change here. 

Loved it

Andy

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

A nice modernized interpretation of a classic - really good.  I like the way it builds and that the organ gets introduced later in the song.  Good ideas.

Hi

Agree with what Steve said - a great update on a classic track

Cool

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone.  It's especially nice considering that most of you have much better quality performed songs on this forum that I really enjoy. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

On 4/24/2024 at 7:42 PM, AndyB01 said:

Oooh now covering this could be considered as extremely brave - even sacrilegious in some circles - but I think you did an amazing job with it. Nothing to change

^^ This ^^ especially as the band came from just down the road to me. Mix works, don't crit your own vocal, sounds fine here, interesting take with the piano intro. Good Job :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed this version very much. I love the arrangement and the overall mix is just fine the way it is. My only though is that the vocal could come up just a tiny bit. (just a touch). Great job! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I don't know why,  but I haven't been getting notifications of comments on this thread and saw it still on the first page, clicked and was happily surprised to see a bunch of really positive feedback.  Thanks so much for the encouragement. Just a few years ago I was too embarrassed to share anything with just me playing. Now I'm still embarrassed,  but figure, why not? 

You guys are very kind and I really appreciate it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

• 2 weeks later...

This forum is one of the few places that I post on. Most people are very polite and helpful which is not the norm in pother forums.

I am always a bit anxious posting my covers. I get really nervous posting my originals. There's a huge difference in how each are received.

Either way, keep on posting your music. You are very talented in the many areas of performing, arranging, recording, mixing, and producing. 

Rock on my friend!

On 7/16/2024 at 2:20 AM, Kevin Walsh said:

Love all your covers and this one is no exception. Sweet arrangement and love the keys. Such a smooth and chewy mix! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks. I don’t get notifications on this thread, so I didn't see this until just after I listened to and commented on your cover of "I Am the Walrus" -- which I enjoyed! Having covered the song myself and being a huge Beatles fan, I especially appreciated hearing your take on it. Nice work and thanks much for your kind words about my attempt at playing music again. 

12 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Thanks. I don’t get notifications on this thread, so I didn't see this until just after I listened to and commented on your cover of "I Am the Walrus" -- which I enjoyed! Having covered the song myself and being a huge Beatles fan, I especially appreciated hearing your take on it. Nice work and thanks much for your kind words about my attempt at playing music again. 

I don't know how I missed your cover! I went back and gave it a lesson and it's pretty damned awesome. I love your take on it. A killer arrangement. My goal was trying to do an arrangement that a four-piece guitar band could perform. Yours has a great stamp of your own on it with a vocal that rocks hard as hell, well done.

Sorry about jacking the thread!

• Thanks 1

Can't go wrong with an old classic like this ! (well, maybe some could, but you've done a great job) As others mention, vocal volume a bit shy in places, but a nice full balanced mix overall. Personally, I'm hearing your piano intro and piano outro as a classy tribute to this old song, well done ! 

The great old songs never get old.