End of life for TTS-1

Posted (edited)

@Duncan Stitt  I found something that might be perfect for you. 

I fired up my laptop and I noticed an icon on the desktop for a Midi Player. it just said Midi Sound synth. I think I got it from the Synth font web site. But noticed a link in the top to this site ;     https://www.goldmidisf2.com/

I think I installed it and forgot all about it. 

This is looking very promising. I loaded up Sultans of Swing and it sounded real good. Then further poking around reveals this player is loaded with all the features you could want for playing live. It actually designed for this. 

Playlist- drag and drop. edit, save -recall. 

Lyrics / chord display if files support this.

Change the key on the fly and drums are not touched.

A mixer for all channels used in the song playing. It will play midi and audio files. It will even covert them. 

Keyboard shortcuts for USB foot control of transport and playlist. 

A unheard of feature that I tried and it worked flawlessly. It will create an audio stem for each track of the midi file.

It seems to have very powerful tools for converting all midi and audio and even MP4. 

I have the free version which is missing a few features. iPad is 30 - 70 euros. The company is based in Italy. 

Screenshot(160).thumb.png.22c7d51ac1c65b7e979c041ac3c3331f.png

Screenshot(162).thumb.png.16e29485ef85d99b72c9280ea246830a.png

Screenshot (161).png

Update. Well I was just messing around trying to figure out how to go to next song on playlist and it crashed!  

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds promising, or at least it did till your update at the end. Anytime a piece of software is too good to be true, it's highly likely it is too good to be true. Ha ha

So... I downloaded VST Synthfont and chose the default installation folder 'VST instruments,' I believe.  Cakewalk  can't find it, even after a restart, and then going into the utilities-cakewalk plug in manager and rescanning for VSTs. Did the default downloader put it in the wrong place? I'm not a Windows guy, and I'm old, which makes this a headache-inducing experience. I'm on Windows 11.

I think I have the latest version of cakewalk, which I had to download last week in order for the program to run. (I hadn't turned it on in a month or so.) TTS-1 is still there, but I prefer the snare sound of the VST Synthfont instruments in your YT video.

ETA: putting Synthfont in the right folder worked.

Edited by Duncan Stitt
update
  • Like 1

I have Synthfont working, but I have to assign each track to it, rather than opening a file and having all midi channels going to Synthfont. How do I change the default midi player from TTS-1 to Synthfont VST? In preferences, the MIDI Devices window is empty, except for 'friendly name'. (I'm not inputing midi, just playing midi files.) In the Instruments window, I see a list on the right, including "SynthFont device", but the output box on the left is blank with no way to assign channels to SynthFont device on the right.

Posted (edited)

@Duncan Stitt
I just released a video at lunch time and it’s about GM midi and at the end I demo swapping out the full players. 
You use Replace this synth and all tracks. 
There’s no internet here right now so can’t add the link.  I think my channel is in my signature if you’re on a computer. 

Edited by John Vere

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ancjava said:

If I have it with cakewalk installed can i just copy the TTS-1 folder from "shared DXi" to new installation on CbB on another machine? Swould it work?

It's a DirectX plugin, so it needs to registered with Windows to work properly. Any older Cakewalk/SONAR installer will still have it though. 

43 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It's a DirectX plugin, so it needs to registered with Windows to work properly. Any older Cakewalk/SONAR installer will still have it though. 

I think You can just copy registry entries on the new system? Or try to use vst3shell wrapper or converter.

BTW Do I understand correctly that if, on new machine, I first install from older installer (I have one from january) and then install again from latest version of installer i should have final version of CbB with TTS working?

9 minutes ago, ancjava said:

BTW Do I understand correctly that if, on new machine, I first install from older installer (I have one from january) and then install again from latest version of installer i should have final version of CbB with TTS working?

Well there haven't been any changes to TTS-1 in years, so you could for instance run the SONAR Platinum installer and get it. But for DirectX plugins you need to do regsvr32 "<plugin path>"  in command prompt to get it to register in Windows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Well there haven't been any changes to TTS-1 in years, so you could for instance run the SONAR Platinum installer and get it.

I don't have Sonar installer but I have CbB installer from january. So would it work the way I described (on my curent machine I update regulary and still have TTS

But for DirectX plugins you need to do regsvr32 "<plugin path>"  in command prompt to get it to register in Windows. 

So If I copy TTS folder to Shared DXi on new machine and run the regservr32 command it should also do the trick?

22 minutes ago, John Vere said:

This is all covered in my video. But you need the full installer that was last released in November 2023.  All Sonar and CbB installers after that do not include the TTS-1. 

I installed from januray 24 one and i have tts :o