How long are your crossfades?

badt1mes

Hello, I have recently revolutionized my music creation by recording more than one take and, if needed, to split and copy/pasta tracks in order to eliminate mistakes or miscues.

So my question is: When you do this, how long are your crossfades? I have been zooming in and applying crossfades at one frame on either side of a split and paste. Is this sufficient or should I extend the distance? Obviously I'm going for seamless so there will be variables. I'm just trying to find out if there is a "standard" method I don't know about that can be adjusted as necessary. Thanks.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:29 AM, Lord Tim said:

How does it sound?

If it sounds good then it's the right amount. If it doesn't, do more. :) 

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

That is part of why I am seeking guidance here. To my unprofessionally untrained ear, a cut and pasted track may sound great, but to your trained ear, it may sound like a turd. I play instruments and write in order to sing and record myself. Other than reading a couple of books and bothering people on forums, I don't have much training on how to do all this.

So if I may please ask the question differently. Let's say there is a right way and a wrong way to apply crossfades and I, Badtimes Banjo, cannot hear the difference. What is a better method to apply so that other people, who can hear the difference, will have an enjoyable listening experience?

Thank you ??

There's no right or wrong way, honestly. This is all entirely subjective, that's kind of what I was getting at - sorry if that came across as glib or unhelpful!

To me, I might hear a crossfade and think "you know that feels a bit short" and then the next person hears it and thinks it's perfect.

There's not really a definitive answer here, it's going to come down to what you think sounds good, the opinions of other people on the actual mix itself (the Songs forum is a great place to get feedback on this kind of thing), and really experience as you grow your mixing and listening skills.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

There's no right or wrong way, honestly. This is all entirely subjective, that's kind of what I was getting at - sorry if that came across as glib or unhelpful!

To me, I might hear a crossfade and think "you know that feels a bit short" and then the next person hears it and thinks it's perfect.

There's not really a definitive answer here, it's going to come down to what you think sounds good, the opinions of other people on the actual mix itself (the Songs forum is a great place to get feedback on this kind of thing), and really experience as you grow your mixing and listening skills.

No worries, you were helpful. Maybe I just needed a little more explanation, which you provided here in the follow up.

The only thing I really want to do with the dry mix is to cut out mistakes and pull good parts out of different takes to paste back in. I have a good case of tinnitus so I definitely don't trust my ears to mess around with EQ or effects, those things I outsource.

Great idea about posting to Songs. I recently moved all of my recording equipment and DAW desktop out of my one bedroom apartment and into a spare bedroom in my friend's house. So it may take a few days to get over there and export some projects to WAV for posting here. Thanks again!

• Like 1