HELP!!! HHD lost data

X-53mph

depending on the failure - i've found many times that the power supply and/or power regulator in those types of units are the problem. so, for like 6-7 failed drives (several brands) devices now, i remove the disk drive itself and use a USB adapter unit (which also supplies power for older drives), then copy all of into my cloud storage (2 different services for redundancy). label the disk and put it into a static-free bag.

it's something similar to this: https://smile.amazon.com/Converter-External-Universal-Function-Software/dp/B00EHDTRJ6/ which i purchased about 4 years ago. 

only one drive was not recoverable using this method as the disk drive controller was shot, so i sent to a data recovery place which was able to directly access the drive (it was a small HDD and i didn't have any other like it or i would have swapped the controller board...) that was $150 for the service and they returned the content on a new disk drive (200Mb).

Edited by fossile
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@fossile thank you for the help. Luckily I was able to revive the drive using a disk partition tool. It seems the directory had become corrupted and just needed rebuilding.

Luckily no data seems to have been lost. I then spent 2 days backing everything up onto 2 extra external drives. 

I've had problems with the power cable in the past. I had to splice some cables in that case.

Cheers

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Luckily I was able to revive the drive using a disk partition tool.

This reminded me, every once in a while a Windows 10 Update will change something that makes an extended partition on one of my hard drives disappear.  The first time it happened, it took a few days to research the problem and find a solution.  I now have the HDD manufacturer's problem-solution page for this bookmarked.  IIRC the solution involves running their partition manger which reinstalls something without changing any of the files in the partition.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:24 AM, Philip G Hunt said:

@fossile thank you for the help. Luckily I was able to revive the drive using a disk partition tool. It seems the directory had become corrupted and just needed rebuilding.

Luckily no data seems to have been lost. I then spent 2 days backing everything up onto 2 extra external drives. 

Good to know. What disk partition tool did you use?

20 hours ago, rsinger said:

Good to know. What disk partition tool did you use?

Mini Tool Partition Wizard.

It's has a function that will look for errors on the drive and repair them automatically.  And best of all, it's free.

• Like 1