New MidiFX Available

Variorum

14 hours ago, Dave Schreier said:

I am having the persistence problem again

Ok... fixed! Grab a new one here.

Stupid mistake. I removed a line of code while doing a final cleanup. It was completely unnecessary... except for that one plugin 😒

...and I didn't completely test all the plugins afterward.

BAD PROGRAMMER! BAD! <rubs programmer nose in code>

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

But ->

Hmmm... That usually means regsvr32 isn't being run as administrator. The new Install.bat file automatically elevates permissions so you don't have to explicitly pick "Run as administrator", but it looks like something on your machine is preventing that??

Do you see this screen after running Install.bat?

UAC.png.2a4f227d2f61f4e0d97c3c19d7212549.png

You can also right click on Install.bat and select  "Run as administrator". That should allow it to register.

If that still doesn't work, we can use Power Shell (or the command window) started as Admin to manually register it.

Lemme know.

Are you running the .bat file from the original directory? In other words, is CSMultiCompanderV2.dll in the same directory as the Install.bat file?

If it is and you're still getting the error, open  Power Shell (or a CMD window) as Administrator. If you right-click on the Windows Start icon you should see one of those in the list.

PS.png.e636dc88eb094383ba769d57f5e15f49.png

CD to the directory containing Install.bat and CSMultiCompanderV2.dll and run this command:

regsvr32 .\CSMultiCompanderV2.dll

Let me know what happens...

Thank you very much for creating these plugins; several of them would be very useful in my "music" creation process...but first I have to get them to show up in SONAR, so I need a bit of help.   😳

I can install the MFX without any errors, but they do not show up in any of the menus with other MFX, nor do they show up in the Cakewalk Plugin Manager window's MFX list (even in the excluded or permanently excluded lists). 

I am still using an ancient version of SONAR, v8.5.3, on a non-updatable early-Win10 machine (if I update anything, it screws things up so things I need to work in a specific exact way don't work that way anymore, or don't work at all, etc).  I tried to put CbB on there at one time and had to do a restore of the machine to the point before I did that in order to get things working again, so I can't use newer versions.  (so if these plugins require a newer version, I can't use them; I hope that is not the case).  

I have been able to manually register other MFX (like TenCrazy's stuff), and even certain DX effects that come as registerable dlls.  (this process still works; I verified that I can unregister a TenCrazy MFX, open SONAR and see that it isn't there, then close SONAR, reregister the dll, reopen SONAR, and see that it is now back and works when inserted into a MIDI track effects bin (or clip fx bin). 

I get no errors (just the success dialog as expected) when registering or unregistering the Variorum MFX, using either the provided install routines and batch files, or using the simple manual regsvr32 process (which I long ago added to my SendTo folder so I only have to right click on a dll to reg/unreg it--I can post that trick if anyone needs it). 

Each is placed in it's own folder inside the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MFX\Variorum\ subfolder, since the readmes and bat files are all identically named, and I didn't want to go thru and rename them all (so they can all be in one folder) and debug anything that might cause problems with.  If it won't cause problems, and would fix the issue, I will rename those files and place all of them inside the root Shared MFX subfolder instead. (or wherever is necessary to make them work--what I have seen posted indicates it shouldn't matter where they are as long as they stay where they were sucessfully registered from). 

I'd like to do more to thank you for making these (whether they can be made to work on my system or not), but all I can offer is the music that may be improved (or made less tedious to create), such as the present work-in-progress 

Ookami no Kari no Yume

/track/ookami-no-kari-no-yume

(while listening, imagine a wolf having a dream of being in a pack of wolves that spot something and chase it thru snowy hilly terrain with small clusters of trees (and no, wolves wouldn't howl while chasing, but some artistic license was taken so the listener can better get into the visualization. ;) )

More of various styles at

https://amberwolf.bandcamp.com

Edited by Amberwolf

14 hours ago, Amberwolf said:

...but first I have to get them to show up in SONAR, so I need a bit of help. 

Hey Amberwolf,

My first guess of something that would cause the problem is if you're running a 32-bit version of Sonar 8.5.3.
This would explain why the plugins register correctly but are not found by Sonar. A 32-bit application looks in a different place in the registry for its info.
It looks like you're running the 64-bit version of Sonar because your install directory is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MFX instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared MFX but since the directory can be changed when installing I need to make sure.

TenCrazy makes 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the plugins, so my first question is... which version of those plugins did you successfully install. Both would install correctly on your 64-bit Windows machine, but (I'm pretty sure) only the 32-bit plugins would be recognized by Sonar if you have Sonar 32-bit installed.

If you're definitely running the 64-bit version of Sonar, we'll have to try something else. I'll see if I can whip up a quick program to validate the registry entries.

In the mean time, if you're running the 64-bit version of Sonar and you're familiar with regedit, you can check the following keys:

Keys showing here should be picked up by Sonar 64-bit...
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\MIDI Filters

Keys showing here should be picked up by Sonar 32-bit...
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\MIDI Filters

The keys shown won't make much sense to you, just let me know how many there are in each of these places.

Ok... Run these two programs and copy and paste the results in a post here:

MidiFXValidator(64Bit).exeMidiFXValidator(32Bit).exe

Let me know if you have any problems running them. I'm just guessing at the latest .NET framework you have installed. I may have to try a different one.

Edited by Variorum
Added validators

I appreciate the help. :)

That appears to be the issue, 32 bit vs 64, as the Viramor/Variorum plugins are only listed in the results from the 64bit validator.  Presumably with this you don't need the registry key amount?

I guess I assumed it was the 64bit version since I thought I have used 64bit audio fx, but I recall from way back when that there is something called bitbridge that allows one to use the other, so perhaps that is what allowed this to work (unless that only works to use 32bit stuff inside 64bit SONAR; I don't recall). 

I can't find anything in the SONAR software itself, or the file dialog details, that tells me if it's the 64bit or 32bit program.   I don't recall if I changed the path during the install or not; I usually don't but there are occasions where I have to do this with some programs so they will find content from previous versions correctly. 

If it weren't for the possibility of it screwing up the system and breaking my projects, I would just reinstall and ensure it's the 64bit version.  But it's safer to leave that alone and just have to continue do all the work manually that these plugins could do for me, than risk problems with my projects.  

I don't suppose you have 32bit versions of the plugins laying around?  😉

BTW, it doesn't really matter, but I previously mistakenly typed "Shared MFX" as the folder name, when it's actually "Shared MIDI Plugins" (my brain probably just used the shorthand version)--otherwise the path is the same. 

4 hours ago, Amberwolf said:

Presumably with this you don't need the registry key amount?

Nope... don't need it.

4 hours ago, Amberwolf said:

I don't suppose you have 32bit versions of the plugins laying around?  😉

Nah, I never actually built any of these as 32-Bit plugins... I don't have a 32-Bit SONAR installation to test them on.
I do still have my nice boxed SONAR 8.5 installation discs, but I'm to afraid to install it (I understand how you feel about breaking  something once you get everything working and stable 😬)

But, I modified the CSHumanize project so it could be built as 32-Bit, wasn't terribly difficult. If you'd like, you can download it below and test it. You'll have to manually register it using regsvr32 (unregister the previous CSHumanize first, if you tried registering it).

I have no way to test it here, but it compiles and registers fine 😜
If it does show up in SONAR, it'll confirm that you have the 32-Bit version installed... and it might even work! If it does, let me know what other plugins you want to use and I'll attempt to build 32-Bit versions of those, as well.

If it doesn't work correctly, just unregister it and delete it... It won't mess up your current configuration.

Edited by Variorum
Removed dumbness

Thank you for doing this.

If it helps, I've been a beta tester before, so I'm willing to do that if you're up for making 32bit versions. :)   (if I have to, I have a spare set of laptop hardware I can stick a drive into and install just SONAR 32bit onto to do testing with; this would take at least a few days to get set up...it won't test interactions with anything else, but it would allow testing without risking my regular setup until the plugin was at least verified to work without exploding. 😆

For now, I succesfully unregistered all of the 64 bit plugins, as verified by your (very helpfu!) validator. 

Then I registered just the new CSHumanize.dll file you've attached, but it doesn't show up.  The validators show that it is registering itself as a 64bit plugin rather than 32.

********************  64 Bit MidiFX  ********************

PluginID: {324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820}
Name: CSHumanize
Path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Viramor\CSHumanize.dll

I found it's entry in the 64bit registry section and copy or move that to the 32bit section to see if it was just in the wrong place.

Searching for the id number the validator provides, it has an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\MIDI Filters\{324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820} with a default no-value-set data entry,

and these entries

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820} with Default data CSHumanize

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820}\InprocServer32 with Default data entry of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Viramor\CSHumanize.dll (where I put the file and registered it from)

and 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{324DA820-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820} wiht a Default data entry of CSHumanize Property Page

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820}\InprocServer32  with Default data entry of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Viramor\CSHumanize.dll

as well as 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820} with Default data CSHumanize

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{324DA819-C319-4817-B750-E9357308D820}\InprocServer32 with Default data of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Viramor\CSHumanize.dll

So I copied the entries above to the 32 bit locations based on searching the registry for the info on Cakewalk's own 32-bit Quantize MFX (it shows up only in the 32-bit validator, so I'm assuming it's a 32bit effect) but using the id number and other info for the CSHumanize entries.

This does now let it show up in SONAR, but it reports a "missing plugin" when I insert it, presumably because something about the file is not what it expects?

Sorry it took so long to finish the reply, was pulled away for  a while by JellyBeanThePerfectlyNormalSchmoo (my Saint Bernard) for playtime and then herantiseizure meds and more playtime.  

Edited by Amberwolf

Well, I'm an idiot. I uploaded the regular 64Bit plugin instead of the new 32Bit.

I've been trying to figure out why the plugin was registering incorrectly on your machine when it registers correctly on mine. I even looked at the file size of the uploaded DLL (which was 413KB) and thought it was right... the 32Bit plugin is 431KB... So yeah, I'm dyslexic?

Anyway, thanks for the thorough registry analysis 😁

Try this one. It should hopefully might almost be the correct one (I'll re-download to make SURE):

CSHumanize.dll

Same as before; make sure the old plugin is unregistered, then register this one.

Edited by Variorum
Forgot to rename the dll

Thanks!

I unregistered the previous one and cleaned out the manually-created entries, and then registered the new one.

This one registers correctly, and inserts, but the instant the GUI opens it has just the shaded backdrop (no controls, etc yet) and SONAR crashes. 

The steps to create the crash were to simply open SONAR (oops, sorry, Jellybean submitted the post for me accidentally)

open SONAR, click the New Project File button, uncheck the Store Audio In Its Own Folder and just let it create a new Normal (blank) project.

Create a new MIDI track, expand it, right click in FX bin and insert CSHumanize.

Poof. :/

I've attached the zipped crashdump if it's useful. (those I don't know how to read)

SONARPDR.exe.3900.dmp.zip

SONARCrash.png

Edited by Amberwolf

I was afraid there might be a few issues just changing the configuration to 32Bit and recompiling. 

I resurrected an old I5 laptop and I'm installing the 32Bit version of SONAR 8.5 now. It'll take a while to install the updates and get a dev environment set up on it, but I should be able to test and debug the 32Bit version then...

The crash dump will be helpful.  At least I know the specific function that crashed... One of many, I suspect.

I truly appreciate the work you're doing just to get 32bit versions  of these MFX for perhaps the last person on earth still using this SONAR version. 😆

I understand the very basics of programming itself, and once upon a time knew BASIC and 650x assembly, back in the 1980s...but have yet to learn the high level languages in use today.  I have been working veeery sloooowly on a robotics project idea over the years, called Snuggles The Wolf (for emotional support), and am trying to learn Arduino to then figure out how to create a complex IMU sensor network (which has to work to make the rest of the project do what's needed). 

So far, in all this time, I've managed to compile and install on one Arduino board a very simple program modified from an online demo to track an IMU's 3axis position and move servos to match, just to prove that would work...there's probably a thousand times that complexity left to go. :/  Not sure I'll finish it in my lifetime. 

Edited by Amberwolf

I'd like to find out what part of the code is failing in 32Bit. I have some suspicions.
Once I get everything installed on the laptop (very slow... it has a mechanical hard drive! May as well be a floppy disk) it shouldn't take long to sort out.

Arduino is fun! Nothing like making little gadgets move with code 😋 

If only the IDE was designed properly to assist the user, rather than hinder....  Whoever came up with the overall layout / design needs to actualy be forced to use it. :/

(I have a thing about bad UI design / layout / etc...i try not to rant but sometimes I have to fight to keep it in :blush: Few developers are interested in it). 

But yes, for the very little I have actually gotten to work, it *is* fun.  Long ago I used to make scifi props for conventions, with all sorts of blinky lights and sounds...I actually began the concept of the Snuggles wolfy back then, but even the very basics of what I wanted to do were not within the reach of affordable hobbyist robotics.  Only fairly recently did it become easily and affordably possible to do this sort of thing (assuming I had a clue with how to code it). 

My laptop is still a mechanical drive...I tried to upgrade to SSD but I can't get anything to clone it over (don't recall the specific errors; it's been a while), yet no testing (not even Spinrite) shows a problem with the drive or filesystem.   (I was going to clone it both for the existing laptop and for the backup identical laptop, and put the mechanical away for an ultimate PnP backup device...so at the moment I have both the SSDs just sitting until I can come up with a solution).

Even weirder, the software that comes with (on!) the SSD itself (from Samsung's factory) apparently isn't even designed to test, monitor, or clone anything to the SSD types, just the mechanical ones, and they don't supply anything that can. 😵

Edited by Amberwolf

Important bit of advice for Arduino coding... use Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/) instead of the Arduino IDE. It's much better and easier to use (and free!). If you search on Google, you'll find some good tutorials on how to configure everything for Arduino.

Good luck with the cloning software. There used to be a few good free applications to do it, but they've pretty much disappeared.

BTW - Dev environment is still installing on the laptop...

• Thanks 1