Freeware Instruments Thread

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

What the hell is up with that?? Every time one comes out, as I said I check the page to see if they've put in the latest sample sounds and I only download if they do.  [Emphasis added]

Maybe we have been erroneously assuming that swatches is cumulative. 

730+ PRESETS. AND MORE TO COME.

With each sound pack release—72 so far, we update Swatches with a selection of at least 8 presets from that new title so there is always more coming in. With sounds from every pack, Swatches is a great way to give a pack a spin before making a purchase. [Emphasis added]

It does not compute!!!

Edited by User 905133

Okay, just grabbed a new d/l and now I can see String It is in Swatches, but not Exodus.

Either I downloaded the wrong thing earlier, or installed from an old installer or something, because now we match, and "String It" is the newest one.

I remember getting the email about "Exodus"....

Are you going to write them?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Okay, just grabbed a new d/l and now I can see String It is in Swatches, but not Exodus.

Either I downloaded the wrong thing earlier, or installed from an old installer or something, because now we match, and "String It" is the newest one.

I remember getting the email about "Exodus"....

Are you going to write them?

Thanks for confirming.  I will send sent them a note.

UPDATE:  Just got the reply.  They confirmed the latest Swatches is indeed missing presets from Exodus.  They will correct this and put the right installer online, probably tomorrow.  I'll double check and let you know when its there.  Again, thanks for confirming you also found them missing.

Edited by User 905133
added an update; edit will send --> sent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 12:31 PM, User 905133 said:

Thanks for confirming.  I will send sent them a note.

UPDATE:  Just got the reply.  They confirmed the latest Swatches is indeed missing presets from Exodus.  They will correct this and put the right installer online, probably tomorrow.  I'll double check and let you know when its there.  Again, thanks for confirming you also found them missing.

I checked for a few days.  There was no update to Swatches and I forgot about it--until a few minutes ago.   Looks like it has been updated:

740+ PRESETS. AND MORE TO COME.

With each sound pack release—72 so far, we update Swatches with a selection of at least 8 presets from that new title so there is always more coming in. With sounds from every pack, Swatches is a great way to give a pack a spin before making a purchase.

CONFIRMED: Swatches now has 744 presets, eight of which are from Exodus.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2024 at 8:40 AM, User 905133 said:

Maybe we have been erroneously assuming that swatches is cumulative.

That would be an evil move on their part if you think about it. If they ever removed sounds from Swatches, there would be a chance that someone's older projects would no longer work.

Anyway, it's been updated yet again, this time the sounds are from Jazz Café.

Unfortunate news for people who like to use the Strum 2 sounds, this time they've thinned out the number of articulations, so Jazz Café's examples (ugh, Swatches is so difficult to write about because there are no good synonyms for "sampler" and "sample") don't have the more extensive complement of loop and rhythm ones. Whaddaya want for nuttin', I know, but I finally figured out how to work the articulations in A|A|S Player and have used some Swatches sounds in projects. But of course the ones I used are still there, just not for new ones it seems.

21 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

. . .  I finally figured out how to work the articulations in A|A|S Player and have used some Swatches sounds in projects. . . . .

You probably know this, but for the benefit of others who don't and want a GS-2 tutorial:

In this FREE series commissioned by Applied Acoustic Systems, Eli Krantzberg covers the expansive performance library of electric and acoustic guitar strumming inside and out . . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now up is an orchestral Kontakt Player instrument that has been my favorite new toy for the past few days.

Sonuscore The Orchestra Elements is a great-sounding, useful (and downright fun) instrument. It comes with 30 presets, including 10 for strings, wood, brass, and combined in sustain and a variety of the basic tremolo, marcato, and staccato articulations.

The samples sound pretty good, but the really cool part comes in once you encounter their arpeggiator and envelope programming. This happens with the next 10 presets, which offer the instruments in a variety of 8ths and triplets.

The presets that made me fall in love and want to buy the paid version are the last 10 where they combine the basic articulations with some awesome 5 layered programming, using 3 arpeggiators and 2 envelopes in various combinations.

The free version doesn't allow you to change which articulations are stacked, but you can re-program the arps and envelopes.

The odd thing about it is that there's no keyswitching until you go a couple notches up the product line.

That can be worked around, Kontakt is multi-timbral by itself and even if it weren't, you can always use multiple instances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today we have three interesting instruments from an interesting independent developer and sound designer in Texas.

Somerville Sounds offers the Prototype series for pay-what-you-want. Of the three, I've downloaded and tried Antiquarian Echoes and Meyer Choir. Both are ENORMOUS sounding pad instruments that kind of remind me of Atmos (the piano-based virtual instrument). Antiquarian Echoes is based on guitar samples, although I'd be hard pressed to figure that out from the finished product.

I watched the video by the proprietor, Jon Meyer, where he talks about how he created the instruments. I recommend this, because his folksy manner and friendly appearance (the Meyer Choir is based on the voices of him, his lovely wife and their two kids) will in no way prepare you for the massive walls of cinematic ambient sound that these things generate.

Jon looks and speaks like a friendly guy you'd run into at the local blues open jam. His website features photos of old pickup trucks and dusty smalltown main streets.

His instruments on the other hand sound like they came out of some spartan loft studio in Berlin.

In other words, he's my kinda fruitcake and should be encouraged, so having downloaded and enjoyed his products, I'm going to kick some coins his way in appreciation.

He calls them the "Prototype" series, and if this is what he comes up with when he's just messing about, his commercial products must be outstanding.

• Like 1