Micron 4 TB SSD

Larry Shelby

From what i recall reading here & there...

- Samsung is probably slightly faster, but this one ain't bad..
This drive uses cheaper chips whose cells can wear out/fail but it's intentionally over provisioned, ie they have extra cells on standby to be dynamically used when failure occurs and according to the specs this is supposed to give comparable life.

the 5100 Series utilizes cheaper 3D TLC NAND controlled by a 4-channel Marvell controller. TLC NAND is not typical in enterprise grade drives due to its tendency to wear out more quickly than MLC or SLC NAND. On the other hand, TLC NAND does facilitate higher capacities. So, what has Micron done to make their TLC drives enterprise ready? The answer is abundant over-provisioning.
Over-provisioning is the practice of providing additional raw capacity in a drive over and beyond the user formatted capacity. The extra “hidden” NAND is substituted into use as cells wear out which effectively increases lifespan. Most drives on the market with SLC or MLC NAND provide only a small margin of over-provisioning. Because 3D TLC NAND is so much cheaper, Micron can provide higher levels of over-provisioning while remaining cost competitive. The 5100 ECO drives possess around 10-20% over-provisioning

I'm just a bit leary because my hard drives get put through a lot of wear & tear.