Herman Miller aeron® chair $699 BASE MODEL

e-cue

im going to sit in some Herman Millers on friday hopefully. 

My back if fuxed as is my right hip.

I  am hoping and praying that one of the herman miller models can at least help with this constant nagging 😞 

42 minutes ago, topaz said:

im going to sit in some Herman Millers on friday hopefully. 

My back if fuxed as is my right hip.

I  am hoping and praying that one of the herman miller models can at least help with this constant nagging 😞 

You know how they call the Rolex Submariner "the best $1000 watch you can buy for $10000"? The Aeron is that for chairs. Same for the Embody. All brand and image and no features. All they have is solid build quality.

Don’t waste your money and go for something with actual ergonomic features. A Herman Miller will do absolutely nothing for your back pain unless you get extremely lucky and it just happens to have the perfect fit. And you could have the same luck with a $300 chair, but I wouldn’t count on luck and go to a place where they sell chairs actually made to help with back pain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Cheers for the reply, can you post some links to suggestions ?

I am in the UK.

4 minutes ago, jngnz said:

You know how they call the Rolex Submariner "the best $1000 watch you can buy for $10000"? The Aeron is that for chairs. Same for the Embody. All brand and image and no features. All they have is solid build quality.

Don’t waste your money and go for something with actual ergonomic features. A Herman Miller will do absolutely nothing for your back pain unless you get extremely lucky and it just happens to have the perfect fit. And you could have the same luck with a $300 chair, but I wouldn’t count on luck and go to a place where they sell chairs actually made to help with back pain.

Just now, topaz said:

From what I am led to beleive some of the the herman millers offer full adjustments, so making it "fit" seems to be the whole aim. 

I am in the UK.

2 minutes ago, topaz said:

I am in the UK.

I use a Haider Bioswing 560 but that’s likely not available in the UK. But like I said, I can’t emphasise enough you need to go to a place with actual experts as opposed to sales people and actually sit on some chairs yourself.

1 minute ago, jngnz said:

I use a Haider Bioswing 560 but that’s likely not available in the UK. But like I said, I can’t emphasise enough you need to go to a place with actual experts as opposed to sales people and actually sit on some chairs yourself.

Yes,  thats where I am going.  a store that has lots of ergonomic chairs (used) not just herman millers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jngnz said:

found it 2 grand.    yeh nah,  hehe https://www.back2.co.uk/haider-bioswing-560-iq-chair.html?srsltid=AfmBOoqaNrEUlo1hvrkQprG4uankGoI5c0iTDAxbndHALWqvw1GLNZI5

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Most specialty back pain chairs cost far more than an Aeron though.

Because of the build quality and resale value the Aeron (if you get the right model) is still a decent choice for most people.  Same as buying the Rolex.  There are better out there and cheaper, but almost ironically you can sell the thing in 10 years with use and get back the majority of what you paid for it.

I wouldn't by an Aeron new, but there is a large range of prices one can get them for used.  $40 - close to retail.  

I do agree with the advice if someone legitimately has a back problem go the real ergonomic route, but also don't come away paying $300 for a chair.  Most at going to cost 2x-4x an Aeron.  The $300 chair that is just as ergonomic absolutely exists, but most of the specialty shops are not going to sell it because there isn't' enough meat on the bone for them to stay in business selling them to locals that are coming in for a custom fitting.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, bitflipper said:

The wheels aren't quite round anymore

That is easily and inexpensively remedied.

You can get a set of urethane wheels that will likely fit any chair.

I got a set for my Herman Miller Mirra (as seen on House M.D. as the chair in front of his desk) just because I didn't want to ruin a cable by running over it with the original equipment hard plastic wheels.

Here's a set for $13 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Hardwood-Carpet-Support-Universal/dp/B08XK176F8/

I got the ones that look more like rollerblade wheels, but if I had seen these I might have gone with them. Although the rollerblade wheels are larger diameter, which probably makes for smoother rolling and less likelihood of cable damage....

For the price of a single cheap cable or phone charging cable, I think they're a great investment. And they roll more smoothly.

When the Aeron was first released, I happened to go to an office furniture expo in San Francisco. I worked for pre-Adobe Macromedia in the 90's, and their office was near the design centers.

As soon as I sat in it, I promised myself that one day, I'd have one. I missed out on the dot com bust, when they were cheap and plentiful due to massive office liquidations.

Still check Craig's List from time to time, which is how I snagged the Mirra.

• Like 1

I've been sitting in these Aeron chairs at work for like 15 or 20 years now.

I love them so much I have them at home now. I won't buy anything else. 

They're so comfortable I forget I'm sitting down. I never notice any discomfort. 

Luckily I get them used for pennies on the dollar from a surplus outlet. Love them.

Best chairs ever for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rational said:

I've been sitting in these Aeron chairs at work for like 15 or 20 years now.

I love them so much I have them at home now. I won't buy anything else. 

They're so comfortable I forget I'm sitting down. I never notice any discomfort. 

Luckily I get them used for pennies on the dollar from a surplus outlet. Love them.

Best chairs ever for me.

That sounds possitive 🙂

On 8/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, jngnz said:

I had serious back issues back in 2012. I had tried  a bunch of chairs at all price points up to the aresline x-ten (the worst chair I ever tried for my back). None helped.

I bought a herman miller aeron in size c/large (I'm 6' 2")  and I've sat in that for approx 8 hours a day for the 12 years since.  My back issues never came back and the chair is still like new.  Rock solid investment all ways around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul_in_wales said:

I had serious back issues back in 2012. I had tried  a bunch of chairs at all price points up to the aresline x-ten (the worst chair I ever tried for my back). None helped.

I bought a herman miller aeron in size c/large (I'm 6' 2")  and I've sat in that for approx 8 hours a day for the 12 years since.  My back issues never came back and the chair is still like new.  Rock solid investment all ways around.

Lucky man. I'm 6'1 and figured I needed B from reading the size charts. The lady in the shop immediately said I needed C when I walked in. I sat down and thought they would have to make an E for me. And add a whole bunch of features to it. It was quite an "I've sat in better chairs at IKEA" experience.

Aeron will go on sale for $699 occasionally. 

Budget stuff is pure crap these days, even those non mesh gaming chairs. They shed and mesh chairs seem to have the mesh separate.

How many of those Aerons I could have bought instead of budget chairs I could afford.

Reviews are overrated since the ratings are when people just bought them.

On 8/13/2024 at 6:33 PM, Starship Krupa said:

You can get a set of urethane wheels that will likely fit any chair.

I got a set for my Herman Miller Mirra (as seen on House M.D. as the chair in front of his desk) just because I didn't want to ruin a cable by running over it with the original equipment hard plastic wheels.

Here's a set for $13 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Hardwood-Carpet-Support-Universal/dp/B08XK176F8/

I ordered those wheels - thanks for the idea. They arrived yesterday and I immediately flipped my chair over to begin the replacement procedure. And quickly destroyed my back attempting to pry out the old ones. It took an extra large screwdriver and a rubber mallet to extricate just one of them. And then couldn't manage to insert the new one, even though the pin diameter and length appear to be identical.

As I subsequently laid in bed contemplating a narcotic for the pain, I realized that this chair is at least 40 years old. No doubt the accumulation of four decades' worth of dust and spilt salsa have accreted into something a geologist might approach with a small pickaxe.

But dagnabbit, I'm now invested to the tune of $23 and determined to complete the repair. Not today, perhaps, but soon. 

I tried all the herman millers (and other brands) the one that was most comfortable for me was the Sayl chair.

The best thing is the amount of adjustments for the arms, and takes less space than my last operators chair.

I'm happy 🙂 

eed0b532-f789-4a34-946e-47e9af3b0397.jpg

• Like 2

Turns out I need a new chair now.

I had tried to extend the life of my office chair by replacing its wheels, as per Starship's suggestion. Unfortunately, I wrenched my back attempting to remove the old wheels and spent the subsequent week in utter agony, unable to sleep or walk.

Oh well, I thought, flat wheels will have to do for now.

Then last night I sat down on said chair and there was a loud bang. The next thing I knew I was slamming into the concrete floor. Fortunately, my left butt cheek absorbed much of the impact, so at least there was no concussion or broken bones. But I could not get up from the floor. Fortunately there was a wooden stool within reach, and I used that to climb to my feet.

Turns out the screw jack that connects the chair to the base had explosively snapped in two. The chair now resides next to the trash can and I am presently perched atop the aforementioned wooden stool. Time to review this thread again.

As a counterpoint to the glowing praise for Herman Miller chairs, my experience has been a little different.  

I ordered a Herman Miller chair from "madisonseating dot com" for $700 because of this thread. Here is the letter I sent to them after receiving my "new" chair.

I was excited that my order arrived today.  Thank you for such prompt fulfillment of my order!  The chair is very comfortable and looks great.

However... after putting it together, my initial reaction to this "top of the line" Herman Miller chair is that the construction quality is suspect at best.

My issue is solely with the $100 Posture Fit Lumbar support that I bought as an add-on.  I bought an open box chair so didn't expect a "new" one, but when I added the lumbar support for an additional $100, I did expect a new one. As I unpacked things I noticed the support was not in new packaging and had clearly been installed before because the tension cable was bent.

1. NOT new: To be clear, I was not expecting a new chair because I purchased an "open box" - however, as noted, I paid the $100 up charge for the Posture Fit Lumbar support, so I was expecting a NEW support.

2. Faulty/cheap parts:   When installing lumber support, the plastic "Y" shaped piece, the section that holds it to the chair split as I installed it - or - was already split and I hadn't noticed. (Pic attached.)

3. Cheap plastic tabs: After the installation, the cheap plastic tabs holding the pads to the support mechanism simply broke off and cannot be reinserted. (Pics attached)

I don't like to complain and am a very reasonable person and I've done a lot of customer support in my career and appreciate your side of things. Honestly, if the $100 support had worked as expected, I'd have been fine with the used one. 

This is clearly a defective part. I'm pretty dissatisfied with this $100 broken Posture Fit Lumbar support and would very much appreciate a replacement. Please let me know how to proceed with this issue.

They sent me a new part which I installed. While I found the mesh perfectly comfortable, the plastic bar across the front of the seat was uncomfortable on the backs of my legs after awhile.  Then, over the next few months I found the arms wouldn't keep their adjustments, the seat will lower over time and other issues I can't remember at the moment. Eventually one arm broke off. It just fell off because the adjustment pin sheered off.

I got in contact with them again because they have a 10 year "guarantee".  But in order for them to look at it, I need to find a box, pack it up, pay the shipping and a $95 one time fee for them to send it back - something like that.  Other than telling them to f'off, my inclination is to cut my losses at this point and throw this $$ POS in the garbage.

For what it's worth, my recommendation would be to buy local where you can sit in it and you know what you're buying.  And especially, don't buy from this shop because their customer service is hard to get in contact with at best.  Count me as a very unimpressed Herman Miller customer at best.

Edited by mibby
  • Like 3

Wow, sounds like a Friday-afternoon chair and I don't blame you for thinking that way at all. You're every bit entitled to be an unhappy customer.

30,000+ hours sat in mine, many days of 10+ hours sitting and genuinely no issues at all with it, including with the lumbar support. The best compliment I can pay is that I just don't think about it anymore - it just does the job, so I can get on with mine.

Other than when I first got it, I genuinely can't remember ever having to adjust anything on it - in 12 years.

I get that we're all different and sometimes quality control lets a crap one through so not trying to diminish your experience in any way,  this is just how it's played out for me. Maybe I've been lucky and you've been unlucky, with typical experience somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Paul_in_wales
  • Like 1