Best way to audio link and MIDI sync to iPad?

bendy

Hi All

So I use both iPad and Cakewalk for music but have never really got the two playing nicely.

What i would like to do is just connect them with the USB - Lightning cable and the audio to come from the iPad into Cakewalk as well as the MIDI from cakewalk to sync the clock on the iPad, start stop the iPad rhythm apps etc.

Is anyone doing this nicely?

Thanks 

Hi,

i use the app Studiomux to connect my iPad mini 2 to Windows DAWs.

you get separate midi and audio in and out channels, up to 8 apps in parallel, all through the USB cable, iPad  also gets  powered.

E.g. to get Korg Gadget started with cakewalk, 

• install the studiomux drivers and VST instrument (free download)
  •  Connect iPad via USB
  • start studiomux on iPad ($10 in store)
  • add korg gadget  to studiomux slot1
  • Set the gadget Settings / MIDI Sync = Ext, and press the looping symbol button in the footer (4th button).   Maybe sync is missing in the LE version.
  • In Cakewalk enable the new available Midi port, studiomux@myipad
  • Send Midi clock :
    • Preferences / Project / MIDI / Send MIDI Sync: select start/stop/continue, and the new port selected in MIDI Sync Outputs port 
    • I have  Project / Clock / Source set to Audio.
  • Add a zerodebug/studiomux_generator Intrument track, it represents the iPad, set inputs and outputs.
  • Pressing start in cakewalk starts Korg gadget in sync, ipad audio gets thru this track.

You have to save on iPad separately, and best to start studiomux/gadget on iPad before loading the cwp the next time.

Setting Gadget as Clock master should also work, but i never tried it.

Have fun

Hubi