How to True Stereo Pan NOT just balancing

one consideration - using a surround buss - set it to 2.1 in the preferences, skip the LFE, and now you can set width, depth, and position of any stereo channel and position. depth for mono. be aware some plugins can misbehave on the surround buss so be careful to only put them on the stereo busses and channels. fyi, you can have several surround busses feeding into a master surround buss - so expanding ambience and effects beyond the "stereo" field can be managed separately... always check in mono though to see if collapsing those effects causes a problem to your mix - used judiciously, it's typically not an issue.

• 4 years later...
On 6/20/2020 at 11:50 AM, bitflipper said:

Grab the Pan Knob from Boz Digital Labs. It has two modes, balance and pan, with the latter being a true stereo pan function.

There are other stereo panners out there, but this is the best one I've found. It keeps low frequencies centered (you can set the crossover frequency) and lets you specify the pan law. It's an essential plugin for me and goes on every stereo track.

If the $49 price tag puts you off, just be patient; Boz has frequent sales.

I know this comment is old, but just wanted to thank you for sharing this plug here.  One of my biggest bugaboos with cakewalk has always been getting a mix to have space and width and translating both in cans and on monitors/speakers.  This plugin is amazing, I honestly can't go back to the way I used to mix.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

It's a pity that the functionality of Boz's Pan Knob (and now Pan Knob 2) never made it into CbB. (I haven't looked at the new Sonar, but I'm assuming it's not there either.)

It'd be so much more convenient to just grab and/or automate the console pan knobs than instantiate a plugin and open its window when you want to tweak the mix, especially if you want it on all the stereo tracks or busses.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Bradley said:

It's a pity that the functionality of Boz's Pan Knob (and now Pan Knob 2) never made it into CbB. (I haven't looked at the new Sonar, but I'm assuming it's not there either.)

It'd be so much more convenient to just grab and/or automate the console pan knobs than instantiate a plugin and open its window when you want to tweak the mix, especially if you want it on all the stereo tracks or busses.

Or just have it's way of working built in, I'd love that.  But I'm not complaining too much, at least it exists 😂