How do get the last version of Cakewalk for Windows 7?

David Owen

On 5/26/2024 at 2:03 AM, John Vere said:

You need to be aware that CbB will soon be de-activated as Sonar is replacing it. None of the CbB versions from the last 7 years can be activated anymore. Only the last sunset version from this year can be activated. Sonar will not run on W7.
So as said above you would need to use Sonar from pre Bandlab ownership to use it on W7. 
I also have a 2008 Sony laptop that I have used for recording live bands using W7 and CbB. That’s the end of that. But I also have Sonar Home Studio on it. 

This isn't true.

As long as you've got the latest security updates to Windows 7 (with TLS1.2 enabled) and the latest CbB, it should activate fine.  You'll get a warning on installation, but that's all it is - a warning.

I'm running the latest CbB on my Windows 7 boot with no issues.

FWIW - I've tried the new Sonar on Windows 7, and it doesn't work properly.  Menus are broken, drag/drop from the browser is broken etc..  It's not surprising - Sonar is using Windows API's that are only available in Windows 10 and above.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This isn't true.

As long as you've got the latest security updates to Windows 7 (with TLS1.2 enabled) and the latest CbB, it should activate fine.  You'll get a warning on installation, but that's all it is - a warning.

I'm running the latest CbB on my Windows 7 boot with no issues.

FWIW - I've tried the new Sonar on Windows 7, and it doesn't work properly.  Menus are broken, drag/drop from the browser is broken etc..  It's not surprising - Sonar is using Windows API's that are only available in Windows 10 and above.

Yes I’m aware that now this changed. You will see I even released a video announcement about how CbB is not going away and hopefully not for a long time.

When I posted that it was based on the information staff was providing at that point in time. The only statements I found said “Cakewalk will be kept long enough to allow people to transition “

So please don’t blame me for posting miss information. This is an example of the lack of the official information causing rumours and speculation.
If they had supplied solid answers a year ago this forum would be missing 100’s of pages of speculation about the future. 
I just read over the original announcements from a year ago and scattered in that thread are people asking the question. “ Will we be able to use Cakewalk and for how long” Each time this was ignored and only specific questions were answered. 

The only answer was always the one I just quoted above. 
That answer to me implies that it would be very soon after Sonar was released. 

It’s all good now and judging by the comments on my video people are super happy to hear we now have hope to continue using Cakewalk. But they had to get that information from another user, it is still unofficial!

Many were on the brink of switching DAWs and like me have now scrapped that plan. 

But why is this info still hidden from the general public ?  

Edited by John Vere