That pesky realtek driver.......

Peter C

• 2 years later...

Hi 

I have similar problem. In Record Latency Adjustment it goes back and stays on Realtek ASIO and ignore my Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver

I could remove Realtek ASIO  from registry BUT I have one concern:

Often I am on the road and use my laptop without interface (film watching, YT etc) and then I don't use my interface drivers but default Windows 11 driver and this is I guess Realtek ASIO. So by removing it I wont be able to hear any sound from my laptop when interface is unplugged, right?

hmm ...maybe change it for ASIO4All which is pure evil, but maybe less bad that Realtek? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Hi 

I have similar problem. In Record Latency Adjustment it goes back and stays on Realtek ASIO and ignore my Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver

I could remove Realtek ASIO  from registry BUT I have one concern:

Often I am on the road and use my laptop without interface (film watching, YT etc) and then I don't use my interface drivers but default Windows 11 driver and this is I guess Realtek ASIO. So by removing it I wont be able to hear any sound from my laptop when interface is unplugged, right?

hmm ...maybe change it for ASIO4All which is pure evil, but maybe less bad that Realtek? 

There's no need to use the Realtek ASIO driver (I didn't know there was even such a thing). I just let Windows manage the Realtek audio. I use the mains on my audio interface for Windows audio, but I default to the Microphone Array in my Lenovo laptop for audio in. Works great. If I turn my interface off, or an audio app changes the audio from 48K to 44.1K (Windows loses visibility to my interfaces audio outputs), Windows defaults to the internal speakers. Easy peasy.

13 minutes ago, John Maar said:

There's no need to use the Realtek ASIO driver (I didn't know there was even such a thing). I just let Windows manage the Realtek audio. I use the mains on my audio interface for Windows audio, but I default to the Microphone Array in my Lenovo laptop for audio in. Works great. If I turn my interface off, or an audio app changes the audio from 48K to 44.1K (Windows loses visibility to my interfaces audio outputs), Windows defaults to the internal speakers. Easy peasy.

Please show us what do you have in Regisrty Editor  under registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

27 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Writing from memory... "Record Latency Adjustment" is per interface, so can be set for Realtek AND for other. The setting for currently used driver will be used, but configuration dialog list all (starting from the first, not selecting currently used). There was a thread about that in this forum, but I can't find it fast.

Do NOT install ASIO4All if you ever use other ASIO drivers. Under some (unknown) conditions, it can do "something" (still not understood what ) and disturb other ASIO  drivers.  Uninstalling ASIO4ALL will not help, you will have to reinstall Windows or wait till major Windows update to fix that.

If correct latency adjustment is applied can be easily checked with loop-back recording (2 inputs with the same signal, one directly and one throw the DAW and loop-back cable, exact required "shift" in samples will be visible then).

17 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Please show us what do you have in Registry Editor  under registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

I have 3 entries: ASIO Fireface USB, BC Connector ASIO and Machine MK3.

Now that I have my new RME Fireface UCX II up and running with its multi-client ASIO driver, I plan to uninstall BC Connector.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I have 3 entries: ASIO Fireface USB, BC Connector ASIO and Machine MK3

Which one of these 3 is responsible for audio when your laptop operates without audio interface connected?

9 minutes ago, azslow3 said:

Writing from memory... "Record Latency Adjustment" is per interface, so can be set for Realtek AND for other. 

Well the thing is that I CAN'T SET IT to anything else than Realtek, despite that I have two other entries on this list:  my two audio interfaces.

2 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Which one of these 3 is responsible for audio when your laptop operates without audio interface connected?

None of them. Windows manages the audio without an ASIO driver.

Edited by John Maar

Didn't you read this old thread? What was the answer? Delete any unwanted invasive drivers. You only want the ASIO driver for any devices you use. Prop[er ASIO drivers are NOT invasive and can co exist. Known to be a problem is Realtek, Steinberg Generic, Pre Sonis Generic and Magix. 

This is what it should look like. I use 2 devices. I can seamlessly swap them out as long as Cakewalk is closed. 

Screenshot (236).png

• Like 1

As said ( many many times) You delete any unwanted asio drivers found in the Reg edit as instructed or they will interfere with your Audio driver set up. This often manifest as it will takes over the Sync and Caching box and won't go away until you delete it. 

It's very simple-

For audio interfaces we use only ASIO. Those drivers need to be kept up to date. 

For using computers built in Audio you use WASAPI drivers. When you turn off or unplug your Interface Windows will use it's own drivers. It does not need the Realtek driver. 

• Thanks 1

@Bass Guitar "Didn't you read this old thread? What was the answer? "

I read all there is available on this topic, nevertheless I didn't find the specific answer. Hence my question. Pardon if it bothers you - Im sure you also was at some point in the place where you simply didn't know these stuff :) Peace.

7 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

For using computers built in Audio you use WASAPI drivers. When you turn off or unplug your Interface Windows will use it's own drivers. It does not need the Realtek driver. 

And that is the information I was looking for. Clear and sweet, thank you :) 

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

:( Unfortunately  it didn't work for me. When I disable Realtek  driver (either from Windows Sound Settings or Device manager Realtek Audio Prosperities) and disconnect my interface - Windows is unable to play sound. "No output device found" and cakewalk shows this (attachment). It doesn't seem to find any other drivers to use. 

So in my case, when I need sometimes to use my laptop without audio interface am I condemned to the Realtek driver, or is there other solution for me? 

cbb pop up .png

Thank you @Glenn Stanton I made it! :D Realtek ASIO is gone from my registry and Cakewalk no longer see it :)

Ok one mission done but other is still on. Lets go back to the main topic ot this thread: In Preferences>>Audio>>Sync ans Caching under Record Latency Adjustments where we can chose the driver.  I cant chose anything else than my other interface (Tascam) that I don't use so often. Each time when I chose my main interface (Steinberg UR44C) and apply - it goes back to Tascam driver. Thank God not Realtek anymore, but still - shouldn't I be able to chose there Steinberg driver so I will have it matched to my Steinberg driver chosen in Devices I/O?

I guess I  could also remove Tascam from registry, but I would like to keep this option and use it when necessary with CbB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Well the thing is that I CAN'T SET IT to anything else than Realtek, despite that I have two other entries on this list:  my two audio interfaces.

32 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Thank you @Glenn Stanton I made it! :D Realtek ASIO is gone from my registry and Cakewalk no longer see it :)

Ok one mission done but other is still on. Lets go back to the main topic ot this thread: In Preferences>>Audio>>Sync ans Caching under Record Latency Adjustments where we can chose the driver.  I cant chose anything else than my other interface (Tascam) that I don't use so often. Each time when I chose my main interface (Steinberg UR44C) and apply - it goes back to Tascam driver. Thank God not Realtek anymore, but still - shouldn't I be able to chose there Steinberg driver so I will have it matched to my Steinberg driver chosen in Devices I/O?

In that part of preferences, you don't choose which interface you want to use now. You just set the latency for each interface separately. It is ok that after "Apply" you see the first (for whatever reason) interface Cakewalk see in the system.

If after setting correct value for Steinberg and pressing "Apply" (so you again see Tascam) you still have wrong value for Steinberg (check with loop-back), then it is time to wipe audio settings / look for different solution. But in supposed to work (just with weird behavior of configuration dialog). 

• Thanks 1