new tune - voices

geeare1

Now that's some smooth jazz! I like it, very soulful.

21 hours ago, geeare1 said:

All comments, criticism, complaints, etc. welcome.

So if I'm behind the glass on this one:
in the intro, the arpeggio into the chord.
You've varied the arpeggio just a bit (excellant), but I think I would make a little change on the chord.
I'm not good at "that's a sus 4 with a 2 in the root", but on the 2nd and 4th repeat I'd change the one to a 7th maybe?
I hope I'm making myself clear. Just a tiny difference in that voicing; subtle.
But as I said above, very soulful, well played; other than that tiny change to the intro I would leave it alone.

Tom

big Gibson jazz box on this one?

• Like 1

Very nice, like it - an enjoyable smooth listen.

Tom's comments aside, which I think i would probably agree with, I would leave this alone.

And I do like the Guitar tone - it does sound like  135/335 type of guitar - i have an Old Gretsch that gives my this sort of tone when I run it through the right amp!!

Nigel

• Like 1

Very nice! Sounds like a big jazz box to me, but I could be way off. Depends on the amp and eq to a large extent.  To me, the guitar sounds like it was recorded a bit too hot. I'm getting some light breakup in my 'phones. But I do like the tone you're getting out of that guitar.

Got a question for you -- what did you use for your horns track(s)? They sound really nice, and realistic.

• Like 1

DeeringAmps: Hi Tom, thanks very much for listening and your positive comments. As far as varying the chord voicing in the intro, I think it's a good suggestion but I don't think I'm physically able to do anything more than hang on to the chord I'm playing and hope there are no dead strings or buzzes 😊 Btw, the guitar is a Guild X175b, sort of a budget Gibson. 

Bajan Blue: Hi Nigel, thank you, sir!

Michael McBroom: Hi Michael, thank for listening and commenting! Yea, I hear what you're saying about the distortion. I notice it in the intro especially. I tried to get rid of it but I think it's a combination of the chord voicing (which contains a minor second) and the tone (which is kinda bass-y). I just plug the guitar into my computer and the meters don't seem to be too high so I just decided to live with it. I appreciate the comment the the horns. I'm using Mojo Horns for the horn parts.

amiller: Thanks very much, man!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 11:19 AM, geeare1 said:

I don't think I'm physically able to do anything more than hang on to the chord I'm playing and hope there are no dead strings or buzzes 😊

Don't feel bad, I struggle the same way. :)

On 12/28/2019 at 11:19 AM, geeare1 said:

Btw, the guitar is a Guild X175b, sort of a budget Gibson

That's a big boy all right, it sounds nice. 

T

Edited by DeeringAmps
Removed emoji
  • Like 1

kloon: Thank you for listening and commenting! I especially appreciate the comment on the trumpet & guitar 😃

Jesse Screed: Hi Jesse, thanks very much for the positive feedback. Much appreciated. I've recently started using Superior Drummer. I'm real happy with the program but there's a pretty steep (to me) learning curve and I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

mark skinner: Thanks very much, Mark. I really enjoyed your instrumental "brahma"

kennywtelejazz: Hi Kenny, thank you for listening / commenting. I appreciate the comments from a musician of your caliber. BTW, great playing on "G Minor Swing Blues".

ZincT: Thank you! I appreciate the comment on the horns because I'm embarrassed by the amount of time I spent on them 😂. Let me say again, your version of "I Believe in Father Christmas" sounds amazing!

• Thanks 1

Having heard some tunes here recently where the drums were a bit underwhelming, can I start by complimenting your drum kit, and programming if that applies? If those are live drums, as they sound, I'd say very good on those! Super tasteful.

Oh, btw the guitar tone was friggin' fantastic. Your choices in the 2:50 area should be studied in an improv class. Wonderful!

Love the smooth jazz genre, and thanks for sharing this!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

freddy j: Hi Freddy, thanks for the listen and the Mancini reference! Don't get many of those. I'm glad you liked the tune. It was great to hear your "After Christmas Bill Paying Blues" again. All the best.

emeraldsoul: Hi Tom, thank you for listening and for the kind comments. Regarding the drums, I recently started using Superior Drummer and I'm real happy with it. I appreciate the comments on the guitar tone, too. I struggled with using an actual amp for awhile because I didn't think software amps would sound "real", but I was obviously wrong. Lesson learned 😄. Thanks again!