Mixing scenes for tracking / mixing question.

Misha

Hi Folks.

A gentleman from the forum suggested that I try "Mixing Scenes" to manage VST FX for different situations. I started experimenting with it, seems it is doing what I want to accomplish.  So it is clear, I want the scenes to work for two scenarios. Tracking "light" scene with 2&3 VSTs  and   Mixing "heavy" scene with 10+ VSTs  on a single project.

When making tunes, I work meticulously, so I want to ask somebody who actually tried and knows this, so I do not lose things :)

Assuming I am working on a project, switching from "light" to "heavy" scene, changing things in VSTs  (FX, Kontakt or Melodyne) in different scenes.... 

will a single File->Save click will save all VST parameters in all scenes that were changed? Or  I have to pay attention to something particular?

Thank you for your time!

Just now, Misha said:

will a single File->Save click will save all VST parameters in all scenes that were changed? Or  I have to pay attention to something particular?

The save function saves for the entire project, not just certain parts or scenes of a project. Its global. 

Just try saving and see if both scenes are saved

CJ Jacobson,  Thank you!

I was a little concerned about more complex plugin save states as Kontakt or Melodyne.   I just got a basic Melodyne to play with, as I understand it saves actual "captured" audio files to HD...

Another question, please. I know there are "workarounds" when working on single project for tracking and mixing.  To have some CPU / iO overhead for tracking, it seems that "scenes" are the most straight forward approach. Is this the most common workflow for this or there is something else I should look into?

Thank you!

Mix scenes are saved externally in the per project mix scenes folder. However if you add new scenes you should resave the project since the list of scenes is stored in the project file.

Please note that mix scenes will not save melodyne region effects. Only track and bus effects and synth settings can be  stored in mix scenes, no clip based effects...

• Thanks 1

Noel, Martin , Thank you!

I checked, and basic stuff  seems to be saving. It is just the Melodyne thing is a new beast to me :)

As I understand, it is acting as a sampler in a way. It captures the track and saves audio to its folder and when project is re-opened, it loads those Melodyne tracks to the project... 

So if I have two scenes, one with Melodyne and one without Melodyne,    once I load the scene without Melodyne from the scene with Melodyne, it will unload all of it from the engine and once I switch to scene with Melodyne back, it will load VST plus all of the audio data for it. So in theory I can go back and forth. 

The reason I am asking, I just got Melodyne and tried it on already established project. Everything kind of worked for a while...then clicking scene change started to crash Cakewalk. I suspect it is Melodyne, because it is the only "new" thing that was brought into equation.  I have to do more testing to figure out what exactly crashing my Cakewalk. Maybe it is just that project and combination of VSTs used.

Thank you,

M.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Misha said:

Noel, Martin , Thank you!

I checked, and basic stuff  seems to be saving. It is just the Melodyne thing is a new beast to me :)

As I understand, it is acting as a sampler in a way. It captures the track and saves audio to its folder and when project is re-opened, it loads those Melodyne tracks to the project... 

So if I have two scenes, one with Melodyne and one without Melodyne,    once I load the scene without Melodyne from the scene with Melodyne, it will unload all of it from the engine and once I switch to scene with Melodyne back, it will load VST plus all of the audio data for it. So in theory I can go back and forth. 

The reason I am asking, I just got Melodyne and tried it on already established project. Everything kind of worked for a while...then clicking scene change started to crash Cakewalk. I suspect it is Melodyne, because it is the only "new" thing that was brought into equation.  I have to do more testing to figure out what exactly crashing my Cakewalk. Maybe it is just that project and combination of VSTs used.

Thank you,

M.

No as explained, Melodyne is not a track based plugin, rather it is region (clip) based. Mix recall presets do not save the state of clip based plugins only track/bus effects.  If you got a crash while changing scenes please send me a link to the dump file so we can investigate the cause.

Noel, Scook

Thank you.

I am using it as FX insert on individual track(s). It "produces" clips with transfer button on VST, so I assume it is considered a clip based plugins and will not work properly with "scenes".

Ohh, I wish Cakewalk would have 2-3 FX On/Off switches for different scenarios, so it does not load or unload FX,  but takes it out of sound engine just like that single FX doing now... just selectively.   Maybe one day :)

Scook, Noel,

thank you. Got it.  

Have to figure out another workflow with Melodyne as far as scenes go.  Vicious circle. I just wish there was a way to selectively turn FX on / off from sound engines as a particular "heavy" group, without deleting them.  Would help with tracking / mixing workflow.  Basic example: You have 15 VSTs FX in FX bins and 2 FX buttons on top. One  turns on/off 4 VSTs from sound engine second button turns on/off all 15 (or remaining 11)

P.S. Touch navigation sucks on Melodyne. I wish touch was streamlined to have same feel as Cakewalk :)

Noel,

Thank you for your time! Can you please tell me if what I am asking is possible. I am not requesting a feature here (now), I am just trying to understand...

When FX button on top is pressed, it is almost instant, like a light switch. "Scenes" seem to actually  load/unload things, sometimes making Cakewalk unstable.  In theory, is it possible to have a mechanism that would selectively turn off some FX, leaving others from/in sound engine,  same way all of FX are turned on/off with the button on top? Basically splitting the VST load to two parts, which can be turned on/off Globally independently? Or it is not possible by design?

Thank you.

Noel, 

Thank you for the answer.

I admire your positive spirit, even if this never hits the DAW!  Hats off to you and the crew for doing absolutely amazing job in maintaining Cakewalk. I never expected such pace of progress after Gibson thing.  Thank you and Happy New Year!

Misha.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Anything is possible :) But today there is no way to select which effects are bypassed when you use the global bypass button.

You can put the power buttons for the pro channels in a quick group so when you toggle one, you toggle all in the group. This way you can disable fx on some tracks without others. Use the console view.