Need help with MIDI

no1shero

Hi everyone,

I just decided to download this DAW and give it a try the other day, so yes, very new to it. All good so far, but there's one annoying issue I'm having and I can't seem to find the appropriate answer to it after quite a bit of googling & reading.

I made a 4 bar midi clip for an arp, I have drawn in the first four notes of the clip and am trying to copy those 4 notes through the rest of the 4 bar clip. The problem I'm having is when I try to select those 4 notes it seems to select the whole clip, and instead of copying the notes it copies the clip over & over.

What am I doing wrong here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chuckebaby said:

Are you using the PRV to select these notes ?

Because its impossible to select individual notes trying to edit the clip itself. you can drag select to highlight only the portion of the clip you need. Then use CNTLR+V.

Yes, I am using PRV.

I right-click drag over the 4 notes, CTRL-C, then CTRL-V...but it copies the whole clip instead of just the selected notes inside the clip. I can manually draw out the rest of the notes in the clip, but it'd be much easier to fill the clip using copy/paste.

14 minutes ago, no1shero said:

Yes, I am using PRV.

I right-click drag over the 4 notes, CTRL-C, then CTRL-V...but it copies the whole clip instead of just the selected notes inside the clip. I can manually draw out the rest of the notes in the clip, but it'd be much easier to fill the clip using copy/paste.

If it's just four notes, you can select them individually:
copy_paste_notes_prv.gif

• Like 2

Yes, I would keep in the habit of using "Bounce to clips" frequent and often. It helps tidy up clip fragments and prevents things such as "double notes", selection issues (like your having now).

I use Bounce to clips every few minutes when doing heavy editing, only because I don't want to forget it and also I like working in full clips (as long as slip edit data is not needed). This is also helpful when the midi clip is completely finished, I then drag that whole midi clip from a completed track to my browser (in a folder) for back up purposes. Because if a project becomes corrupt (which doesn't happen often) your screwed. Midi is embedded within the CWP file itself and non retrievable. Unlike audio clips which can be retrieved from the project folder. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, no1shero said:

Yes, I am using PRV.

Sometimes, when cutting and pasting acts up, I switch to the Selection Tool.   Then, it's left mouse click and drag.

Drag-move/copy in the PRV should always automatically extend the clip boundary to encompass the moved/copied material in the existing clip.  Pasting will create a new clip if the start of the paste is more than about half a measure past the end of the existing clip. To avoid that, you can drag the end boundary of the clip further out in the track view before editing in the PRV. But be aware that if you move the clip in the track view, the boundaries will revert to note/controller start/end points.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David Baay said:

Drag-move/copy in the PRV should always automatically extend the clip boundary to encompass the moved/copied material in the existing clip.  Pasting will create a new clip if the start of the paste is more than about half a measure past the end of the existing clip. To avoid that, you can drag the end boundary of the clip further out in the track view before editing in the PRV. But be aware that if you move the clip in the track view, the boundaries will revert to note/controller start/end points.

I do not believe my selection is more than half a measure past the end of the existing clip. I have created a clip 4 bars long, and the measure of my notes is approximately 1/2 of a bar. I select my notes from last to first trying to copy them across the full length of the current clip, and considering my first/only 4 notes only take up the first half bar of a 4 bar clip, I think I can safely assume that I'm not selecting anything over the length of the current clip.

- Enable 'Use Paste Special Options on Paste' under Preferences > Editing.

- Ctrl+Alt+V to make the first paste with Paste Special options.

- Select the radio button to Paste into Existing Clips, and OK.

- Regular Ctrl+V will now paste into existing clips, and will persist until you use Paste Special again to change it. 

Alternatively (preferred)

- Select the one-beat clip in the track view.

- Ctrl+L to enable Groove Clip Looping.

- Drag the end of the clip out to 5:01 with snap enabled at a quarter or measure.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, David Baay said:

- Enable 'Use Paste Special Options on Paste' under Preferences > Editing.

- Ctrl+Alt+V to make the first paste with Paste Special options.

- Select the radio button to Paste into Existing Clips, and OK.

- Regular Ctrl+V will now paste into existing clips, and will persist until you use Paste Special again to change it. 

Alternatively (preferred)

- Select the one-beat clip in the track view.

- Ctrl+L to enable Groove Clip Looping.

- Drag the end of the clip out to 5:01 with snap enabled at a quarter or measure.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!