Brad Yost

Docking & Undocking with Multiple Monitors

I run a system with 3 monitors for composing film soundtracks ([1] track pane, [2] console,[3] Video window w/big time) and would like to know if anyone has managed to figure out how to undock the console to a second monitor, save the project, and then have the console return to second monitor on next re-open of same project?
It always collapses back to the multidock when I re-open.

Did I miss something in setting up my custom workspaces?

I have the very same situation and the exact questions.  It is extremely frustrating  after taking the time configuring my screens  with what I want displayed on them to not be able to utilize them the next time I load the project.

I have had previous versions of SONAR without ever having this problem.

I wish I have found a solution to this to share.

I have explored positioning and reopening floating window/panes on a second monitor.  I know I have a fairly consistent Workspace that does that with a couple of pre-and post- fx analysis plugins, a couple of audio fx plug-ins, and a couple of soft synths.  I tend to keep the TV and CV together on my first/main monitor.  Shouldn't be too hard to tweak it to a floating CV on a second monitor.

I know for some of my projects I also have a locked screen set in slot 1; not sure if that helps consistency.

An early Workspace had lots of floaters and the Control Bar always showed up in the same spot, but I had it on my first/main monitor.

I will try testing a floating CV after dinner. 

Edited by User 905133

Yes gentlemen... previous to Platinum, all versions of SONAR since V7 have been able to save a session with any undocked windows (expecially if in full screen mode) to remain where they were when the session was saved. Only the Platinum to CbB has it been an issue.
I usually have my plugin popup windows go to screen 2 as well, and when I have them in focus via computer or controller (ProjectMix or NI KK s61) they come to the front.
I'd really like to have some sessions (ex:during composition) have the ability to undock the PRV, move it to screen 2, full screen mode, and then it would be in the same place on next open of same session.
I often end up with up to 90+ tracks in the track view with post video spotting and scratch dialog tracks as well as Efx, Foley, and music, and really need all the TV real estate that I can get.

Open Cakewalk, arrange the windows the way you like,  Save the Workspace(give it a name- for me it's default), close and reopen with your new workspace selected. I have a 4 monitor setup but most times just use 3( 2- 22's, a 28, and a 32). When you have your workspace selected as the main workspace it'll open up the same way every time :) I have track view on the 28 in front of me, console on a 22 to my right, and everything else goes to the 32 above the 28! If I could find a way to remove the multi-dock I would!

Bill

• Like 2

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I will try testing a floating CV after dinner. 

So, I saved a Workspace called "Control View on Monitor 2" and when I load the Workspace, the Control View shows up on the second monitor.  It does this consistently as long as I close Cakewalk with that Workspace as the last one I used.  If I close with a different workspace, Cakewalk seems to remember the last Workspace used and restores it; so in that case, I need to restore the "Console on Monitor 2" Workspace.

One issue, though, is that F11 doesn't seem to affect Monitor 2, so I still have the Windows taskbar there; not a problem for me though--just an observation. I tend to use Monitor 2 for flexible/multiple purpose parking.

Bill (Cookie Jarvis)'s steps are the same basic ones I use and seem to work fairly consistently.

• Like 1

Thanks Cookie! You jogged a few of my neurons loose and I just finished setting up a couple of custom workspaces and also saved them in my default startup template.  Ready to start composing again.

Have full screen console on monitor 2 in mix mode, and a full screen PRV on screen 2 in edit mode. Refresh rate on live switching is only 720ms and it doesn't appear to glitch audio on the fly.

I thought about creating screenshots, but those are project specific and I wanted an application default, so this does the trick.

Great ideas fellas. Danka.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brad Yost said:

Have full screen console on monitor 2 in mix mode, and a full screen PRV on screen 2 in edit mode. Refresh rate on live switching is only 720ms and it doesn't appear to glitch audio on the fly.

How do you get rid of the windows taskbar on monitor 2?  I assume there's a setting somewhere, but if you know it, please save me time looking for it. Thanks.

It appears I have solved my projects not opening and displaying on all monitors.

Cookie Jarvis jogged my memory when he mentioned "Workspace".   For me, this is one of those features that once I set it the way I want it, I totally forget all about it.

So thank you Cookie Jarvis for your reply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

How do you get rid of the windows taskbar on monitor 2?  I assume there's a setting somewhere, but if you know it, please save me time looking for it. Thanks.

I use the "Classic Shell" instead of Metro, and have had my task bar auto-hide since Vista. Unless I pull my mouse too far down, I don't even notice. Don't know the answer to that, sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad Yost said:

I use the "Classic Shell" instead of Metro, and have had my task bar auto-hide since Vista. Unless I pull my mouse too far down, I don't even notice. Don't know the answer to that, sorry.

That saved me time by giving me a clue where to look and what kinds of settings to look for.  I right clicked on the tool bar and  eventually found a setting  down the list,"Show taskbar on all monitors." Setting that to "off" let's me have the taskbar just on monitor 1.  THANKS!!! 

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

As powerful and helpful as Workspaces/Lenses are, I do wish Cakewalk would come up with some type of default where users aren't confused as soil.

This discussion comes up still at least once a week.

Reminds me of the old "where is my imported clip".. "Oh there it is down at bar 10,6074"

(import broadcast wave files)

• Like 1

I had the same issue, and this is not working for me. I set up PRV on Monitor 2 and Console and Synth Rack on Monitor 3, saved as a workspace, closed out and re-opened the project, and everything opens on the correct monitors -- for a second. Then they immediately bounce back to the main monitor and I have to drag them back. And they resized themselves, and Synth Rack decided it wanted to be docked. What are you guys doing that I'm not doing?

8 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

I had the same issue, and this is not working for me. I set up PRV on Monitor 2 and Console and Synth Rack on Monitor 3, saved as a workspace, closed out and re-opened the project, and everything opens on the correct monitors -- for a second. Then they immediately bounce back to the main monitor and I have to drag them back. And they resized themselves, and Synth Rack decided it wanted to be docked. What are you guys doing that I'm not doing?

I can't tell you off hand without testing all my Workspaces, but in my experience the "Show in GUI" and "Load from Workspace" options (Workspace Manager) make a difference per Workspace.  For example, here are what two of my Workspaces has under "Management."   Other Workspaces will be configured differently depending on specific needs.   

Not sure if this is what makes my Workspaces seem more consistent for me.  

image.png.e37d904c3c195cb03f4cae51d521effb.pngimage.png.f4cc41a0569bc4994f83d2e191bbb080.png  

On 3/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, jkoseattle said:

Any real fixes yet??