SSD for Dell XPS Desktop?

Alan

i will suggest samsung due to my experience with them , i must have like ten of them form OS drives , msata , nveme, sata (1tb and 2tb) , nothing but pure perfs and reliability !!!

They master their craft like no others imho

10 hours ago, Alan said:

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a SSD drive for a Dell XPS Desktop.  I want to just be able to plug it into the D drive slot. 1-2 TB would work fine.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Alan

Hi Alan. I am thinking about the same. Wich XPS Model do you have?

I have an top of the range XPS laptop as my 'everyday' PC for just over a year - It's a great pc but I'd strongly recommend you stay WELL AWAY from them for audio use.

google XPS "acpi.sys" and latency - it's long saga and very senior people got involved and promised fixes....but they never materialised.

essentially mine is useless for audio - Dell are claiming they have fixed it in the latest generation but I'd be very wary.  YMMV

Xps 9530 here and this thing is so a beast that even with my creen issue , i think of upgrading my ssd size and keep going until it dies instead of going leneovo xtreme for now ... the key with dell is to know witch one to pick and stay with ;) 

( it s the one i made all my youtube video until you see the background desktop pic going montain brown)

Edited by Zo

I don't know what the prices are like in the States but here in the UK you can buy an i7-8565U 8GB 256GB NVME 2GB WX2100 100% sRGB 1920 x 1080 W10 Pro Backlit Dell 3540 Precision Mobile Workstation for about £850 with vouchers and including VAT. It is designed to be accessible, loads of ports and upgradeable, reliable, three year onsite warranty, etc. MIL spec.

I can't understand why people want super slim, non-upgradeable PCs for DAWs. In addition, workstations have decent cooling so processors don't overheat and slow down nearly as often, so they stay fast, which is important in a DAW. There's no point having an i7 that runs at half its speed after a few seconds.

My Precision 3510 has 16GB RAM and 2.5TB SSD. Easy to take this 3540 to 16GB with an 8GB stick and to upgrade the SSD too when required.

Edited by musical
Additional info.

F.W.I.W...I recently added that 1tb Samsung EVO 860 to my Lenovo P52 and it works flawlessly.  Best Buy has it at the same price.

Rocky

22 hours ago, cclarry said:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, synthmeister said:

I have the XPS 9550 and 9560.  They are OK for audio IMHO but not the very best. Took Dell over a year to sort out the 9550. The newer XPS laptops are very similar but I see DPC latency performance is a lot worse on internet posts.

Now ya know why i didnt upgraded and i won t ;) next one will be the xtreme form lenovo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Maar said:

Don't know what it is about Dell XPS laptops. I've got an early 2012 Dell XPS 8500 desktop and have zero issues with acpi.sys latency.

I've been using them since the early 2000s and really like them as PCs but this XPS 15 9575 is terrible for audio.  Great laptop apart from that