BandLab will not install Cakewalk, hangs on downloading 0/5

tommy

Question

I installed a new hard and fresh install of Windows 10. Downloaded Bandlab Assistant, and it hangs on downloading. The Band Lab Assistant seems to be very buggy. I cannot download Cakewalk or the virtual instruments. I checked the folders where it downloads and it says the files are corrupt. I deleted those, uninstalled bandlab and reinstalled, and it hangs on downloading 0/5. THis is so frustrating. Why is this bandlab assistant program required if it's free?

I been dealing with a mess, following some suggestions on the forum, and finally got to the stage to download from bandlab assistant newest version, and the progress says 0 but i do find the file Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_26.09.0.006.exe is being downloaded in the roaming folder. Can someone tell me the size this file is supposed to be when it is done ? I have no idea when it is done since the progress says 0.  Once it said it was corrupted so trying again. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, treesha said:

I went through many attempts to download and got that corrupted message over and over. I just kept doing the download over and over and finally got one that worked. I didn’t do anything different to get the good one. 

There must be some system issue particular to your PC (or even your internet connect) for there to be this many issues downloading and installing Cakewalk by Bandlab.

I have never received a corrupt file while downloading installing Cakewalk by Bandlab.

3 hours ago, h0pppity said:

when I launch it, it says that the file is corrupted

Delete that corrupted file "Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_26.09.0.006.exe" and re-launch BandLab Assistant and then re-try to download (Update Cakewalk).

Edited by HIBI

The way I achieved this was to do the following:

Select your firewall page.

Click on ‘Allow an app or feature through windows defender firewall’

Scroll down to bandlab assistant. exe & highlight with a right click.

Press the change settings button at the top right.

Then toggle the box under the column ‘ Private ‘ to on. ( With a tick ) & press ok.

From your downloads folder find bandlab-assistant-windows-latest

Right click & Run as administrator.

Try the installation process again.

Might have been a fluke but worked for me.

16 minutes ago, Howard said:

I have been working on it after redoing my computer.  

Define “redoing my computer.”.....  On a fresh install of Windows 10 and after patching it, but before installing any third party security software, you should be able get Cakewalk by Bandlab up and running via Bandlab Assistant. 

The only other issue I can think of is a poor or unstable (or slow) internet connection.

I am on a stable, ethernet wired 50 megabit per second internet connection and I have never had an issue installing or updating Cakewalk by Bandlab, ever..

I am on Australian English with my system locale set to Australia

When Bandlab Assistant downloads the current Cakewalk by Bandlab installer, during the installation, it’s in the following folder:

%appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

Note: This file gets deleted after a successful install of Cakewalk by Bandlab.

At the time of my post, the name of this file is “Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_27.01.0.098.exe” and is exactly 560,644,752 bytes in size.  (I always keep a backup of this file)

I have Cakewalk installed on my desktop. I decided to install it on my laptop as well.

Bandlab Assistant appeared to stop after removing the Install button (I had no extras checked). I checked the download folder, and only a few hundred bytes of the installer had downloaded. No further downloading occurred. (Corrupt file message if I tried to run it).

I deleted that file and tried again. And again. Next time I tried checking some extras. They downloaded OK, but the main installer stopped after 243kb. Bizarre! It's like the downloader thinks that's the complete file!

Edited by DannyBartel
fixed typo

Clean Windows 10 professional. Cakewalk install fails to download Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_27.01.0.098_r1.exe

I have done everything suggested above with no success. It is really important to me to open some cakewalk .wrk files that are 23 years old. I wish there was some kind of support. I would even pay for it. But I cannot get through to anyone.

If anyone has any ideas, please help. I have already reinstalled many times. Cleaned the registry many times. It is pretty obvious it is unable to obtain the file from the server since the file size is shown as 1kb.

Edited by Rob Gore
adding additional info

Finally managed to install Cakewalk.

I discovered that Windows Defender had two entries for BandLab Assistant, with slightly different settings. Deleted one of them, and tried again. Different response to previous (it now showed the "Downloading 0/1" status), but failed. Tried again and this time it worked!

Another thing, especially for those like @treesha who are getting the message that the installer is corrupt, open Windows Explorer, right click on your C drive, select Properties, click on the Tools tab and then click on Error Checking. This will scan your drive for corruption. It may be going bad or you may have something wrong with the file system.

• Like 1

Just joining the Cakewalk community and initially I was getting the reporting hanging on 0/1.

The answer was to run Bandlab in administrator mode and then be patient - the files are very big ...

Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_27.06.0.058.exe           562 MB

drumReplacer.exe                                                                           252 MB

instruments.exe                                                                               920 MB

melodyne.exe                                                                                       65 MB

themeEditor.exe                                                                                 19 MB

To reassure yourself that something is happening open C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads and keep an eye on the file sizes

Hi everyone.

I also had same issue.

After many attempts i finally managed to update my CbB.

I uninstalled  Bandlab assistant then I have found an older version od bandlab assistant, installed it and from there  the update finally could be downloaded. And after installing update for Cakewalk I updated my assistant :)

If this will not work for you, then before updating CbB from older assistant go to your firewall settings and allow Bandlab and Cakewalk go thru your firewall then disable any anty virus software that is running  (dont forget to switch it back ON after you download the update!)

Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

I uninstalled  Bandlab assistant then I have found an older version od bandlab assistant, installed it and from there  the update finally could be downloaded. And after installing update for Cakewalk I updated my assistant

BandLab Assistant is not necessary.

Starting with 2020.09 CbB may be updated from the CbB Help menu. See http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.038.html

Alternately, there is an early release of Cakewalk Web Installer available. This tool will perform first time installs and updates.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scook said:

BandLab Assistant is not necessary.

Starting with 2020.09 CbB may be updated from the CbB Help menu. See http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.038.html

Alternately, there is an early release of Cakewalk Web Installer available. This tool will perform first time installs and updates.

Yes, thanks for sharing. Its good to mention that, unfortunately for me that was not an option.

Maybe i should write earlier that in my case update from the Cakewalk Help manu was not working - "could not check for updates please try again later".  So I had to find a way around. I read on few other threads that other people had similar problem, so I share my solution :)