Behringer Xtouch spamming tab keys

Josh Wolfer

I've been a user of Sonar since v1.0. So I'm fairly competent when it comes to configuring sonar. I'm not saying I'm not messing something up here, but just to let you know that you don't have to dumb the conversation down for me ;)

I just purchased an Behringer xtouch and xtouch ext. I was previously using the roland vstudio 700, but upgraded to UA Apollos. 

I'm just attempting to get the xtouch working by itself first. Then I will add in the EXT. 

When I setup the xtouch as a control surface, it DOES work, meaning that the faders slide into position, the stop/start buttons all work, so forth. However there is a MAJOR issue. The xtouch starts repeatedly sending control+tab keys. So much that if I change my window focus to my browser, the tabs keep cycling. Or if I open up notepad, it just sends a bunch of tabs in it. 

If I turn off the audio engine, it still does it. If I shutdown Cakewalk, it stops. And the controller resets itself to idle mode (all faders down). 

I tested this on my music studio DAW on the latest version of Cakewalk and also my secondary computer which is on an old version of Cakewalk by Bandlab (December 2018). Same exact problem. 

I downloaded Reaper software (it's horrible!) to test the same issue. The xtouch works perfectly. No issues. No repeated tab keys sent. So it appears to be related to Cakewalk software somehow. 

Other details:

• midi in/out is enabled in P - Midi devices
• Mackie control Unit is selected in Control Surfaces with the correct xtouch midi in / out. 
• I tried both latest xtouch firmware 1.14 and 1.15, same issue. 

I've been using control surfaces with Sonar for 15 years, so I can't imagine I'm botching this one up.   :)

Please help. This is extremely frustrating. I just filed a support ticket too. We'll see what Bandlab says.