Lost USB MIDI from Yamaha Motif XS8

Astral

Unchecked what? Yes, I unchecked, then checked it again. My motif is 2008 model, I been using Cake since cakewalk 2. Something changed, I am not sure what it is. It been happily producing MIDI just few weeks ago.  Was hoping it is me overlooking something silly, but there only so many settings we can manipulate. Will reset Factory on Motif and report back. It started after I loaded All Data file and all my settings on Motif changed. 

Hey, Vlada - do you possibly have either a different host (alternate DAW, for example), or alternate computer, or even just some stand-alone synth, where you can see if the Yamaha is able to generate and/or respond to midi, outside of CbB?

Just trying to isolate where the issue is - is it with the Yamaha itself?  With CbB?, Possibly with Windows?  If you download and use Midi Ox, is midi activity being detected by Windows?  (Midi Ox will show you any midi messages coming across in Windows - handy free little utility - download it at: http://www.midiox.com/ and the download link is towards the bottom of the page - the link is yellow).

Any chance you were naughty this year, and Santa is giving you a midi lump of coal?  :)

Bob Bone

Thank you for suggestion. I just did Factory Reset on Yamaha, and nothing. Tested with Arturia Analog Lab- still no  MIDI. Will attempt to install the driver again. Do I need to uninstall old driver? I did not want to mass with the driver because until now- everything was working- if I change driver, then I would not know if it is driver or keyboard. Yes, I do have another computer but this is 88keys heavy instrument and I would have to relocate it to another studio to test. But it probably better than just risk and mass with the driver right now. This would tell me if it is computer or the keyboard... Obviously it is not only Cakewalk issue. 

Assume you did this after factory reset:

Connect via USB

Connect the Motif XF to your computer via USB.

Set the Motif XF to MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Press [UTILITY]

Press [F5] CONTROL

Press [SF2] MIDI

Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Press [STORE] to write this to your Flash ROM

And, this appears to be latest driver, for 64-bit Windows: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/umd_win64_kbd.html

1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

You can copy/rename old driver first, as a precaution. 

Don't know if compatibility-mode available in Properties for a driver_ might be worth  checking out, as well.

Bob Bone

I have Motif XS, not XF, but the same steps in Utility.

Not sure how I would rename driver. 

Sorry - didn't catch the XF, rather than XS, in my typing.  You can see the associated driver file paths and names, if you go to Windows Device Manager, and double click on the current driver in the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers category, to bring up the driver Properties, then click on Driver, and then Driver Details, to see the full path to the driver(s) for that device.

Then, you can navigate to that location, and copy those files off to somewhere else.  Some folks rename them.  That way, you can always restore them or rename them back to their original name(s), if you had renamed them.

Bob Bone

Somebody with experience posted this on Motifator forum- will check when I get to that studio. 

With the XS8 powered up and set for USB MIDI operation, you can check for driver installation by opening the Windows Control Panel and double-clicking on “Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver”. A Window should open, and “Device” should indicate “Motif XS8”. You should see the OUT and IN ports connected with a one-to-one correspondence - that is, “OUT 1” to “1”, “OUT 2” to “2”, etc., and the same for “IN 1”, and so on. Try sending “All Note ON” and “All Note OFF” - the XS8 should respond.

3) If the USB-MIDI driver isn’t found, or there’s any other concern about its operation, just reinstall it. Be sure to use the correct 32- or 64-bit version. There shouldn’t be any risk if you follow the steps in the Installation Guide PDF that comes with the download

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Astral said:

It working!

All I did was open Yamaha USB driver Device window, there was option to send Note On and Note Off. It worked. And now it works in Sonar! 

Thank you very much to everyone that helped me to solve it! 

YAY YAY YAY - Vlada - you have THE most amazing luck at discovering the strangest errors ever.  :)  Glad you are back in business. I may not solve much for you, but years back, when we built your new computer (back then), I made you a promise that I would always help you, the best I could.  Folks are only as good as their word, and as long as I am on this planet, I will do my best to honor that promise to you.  ROCK ON!  (I have ZERO idea why what you did fixed anything, but who's counting?)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Thank you for being my computer angel and look out for me! This is actually the Ivy Bridge computer that we built in 2013.  I have similar set up with Kaby at my house, and use it mostly with software synths and Kontakt. The Ivy is in my other house next door that I bought to play in. Yep, the guy from Motifator said the same thing- "dont ask me why". It would be good to know. Must be driver hang or something. I guess it is a thing. Thanks again. Vlada. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1