Win 10 Reinstall - drive usage

Sander Verstraten

Hi guys,

I'm planning to reinstall my Windows 10 DAW and start from scratch.

I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what install on which drive?

I've got: 

- 1TB Nvme SSD

-2TB 7200 rpm SATA drive

-500gb SATA SSD

-1TB SATA SSD

Mainly looking for the best way to split OS, Programs, Projects and Sampler (NI and EastWest) across these drives.

17 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

If you game 500GB is pushing it.  Some games are now over 100GB.

Not if you tell the games installers to use an alternative location for the content.   Steam games, for instance, you can specify the location for the content.

I agree with the others.  Put the OS on the 500gig.

I put Windows and speed-critical programs on the nvme drive. Media files, fun programs, and some samples go to SATA. For general consumer tasks, I don't think you will notice any difference in speeds between SATA and nvme SSDs (except benchmarking lol and some video work). YMMV.

But for real time audio with OS activity going on all the time, the added performance of nvme might mean fewer dropouts.

Also, the nvme drives come in different flavours. QLC is dirt cheap and performs well for most tasks. Most users won't notice a difference with the uber expensive enterprise class drives

https://www.howtogeek.com/444787/multi-layer-ssds-what-are-slc-mlc-tlc-qlc-and-mlc/

A couple of years ago I did a lot of testing of real-time huge VIs and found identical performance between the Samsung EVO850 SATA SSD and a few of their Pro enterprise nvme drives. The nvme drives loaded windows and the VI a bit slower but latency/audio dropout performance seemed identical.

Personnaly the nvme is the way to go for os imho , os don t do os only ...and all the scan and back stuff will go lighting fast !!

so nvme for os

500 for daws and plugins (i called mine audio)

1tb for data (library and projects ) 

2 tb for back up and storage of validated and done projeçts 

• Like 1

I use all SSD's now.

I would use the 500gig SSD for the OS etc
1tb SSD for the recordings/projects
1tb SSD for the samples
2gb HDD in an external enclosure for back up.

This similar to what I have now except I only have a 250gig SSD for OS and programs. I only have NI samples and a few others. You may not be able to fit your samples on 1tb, I don't know. I then have a 1tb HDD in a USB enclosure that I use for backup, it spends most of it's time in the draw, just pull it out to archive.

Edited by Tezza

10 hours ago, Rooooooo said:

just a quick thought,try running a Hard Drive speed test app to find the fastest drive,then install windows to that :)

If the OP is running disk-streaming sample libraries, he'll want to save the fastest drive/s for that purpose.

A SATA SSD is plenty fast for a boot drive.

• Conventional HDs sustain ~200MB/Sec
  • SATA SSDs sustain ~540MB/Sec
  • M.2 Ultra SSDs (PCIe 3.0) sustain up to 3500MB/Sec
  • M.2 Ultra SSDs (PCIe 4.0) sustain up to 4000MB/Sec