How to use melodyne while comping

treesha

It seems that melodyne can be used on all the clips in comped take lanes, vocals for example, to alter the clips as needed before picking which one of them you want to use...from the help - "you don’t want to be using Melodyne after you’ve finished comping but during the comping process, when it really counts." I haven't been able to figure out how to use it this way if I am understanding it right. Videos I have watched show it working, but not how to apply it to everything. I cant imagine you have to apply it individually to each clip in all the take lanes. Anybody know how to do this or get it to work?  I'm using melodyne studio. Thanks, treesha

Hi @treesha yes you must apply it to all clips since in it is a region effect and not a track based effect.
Here is a video from Celemony's site that shows the process. Though its made using Studio One its a similar process in Cakewalk. Select the clip and press CTRL-M to turn it into a region effect clip for editing in Melodyne.

As the video states if you intend to use Melodyne for comping its best to start using it early in the comp process so convert the entire take lane clip into a melodyne clips and then start using the comp tool or smart tool to isolate sections. It will automatically create sub regions for editing in Melodyne.

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2019 at 9:36 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @treesha yes you must apply it to all clips since in it is a region effect and not a track based effect.
Here is a video from Celemony's site that shows the process. Though its made using Studio One its a similar process in Cakewalk. Select the clip and press CTRL-M to turn it into a region effect clip for editing in Melodyne.

As the video states if you intend to use Melodyne for comping its best to start using it early in the comp process so convert the entire take lane clip into a melodyne clips and then start using the comp tool or smart tool to isolate sections. It will automatically create sub regions for editing in Melodyne.

I tried that for an acoustic guitar track and it's not working. The blobs in the blue box in the attached screenshot show what happened when I created a Melodyne Region Effect in the second acoustic guitar take. What am I doing wrong?

Also I I have Melodyne Studio 4.2.4 which allows me to open multiple tracks in Melodyne Standalone.

2020-01-24-1.png

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Bill Phillips: I am not sure the error your blue rectangle is highlighting. Are you saying those are wrong notes? It looks to me that Melodyne is in polyphonic detection mode and is just detecting multiple tones at a particular time. 

@reginaldStjohn, thank for the question. No those are notes in the 1st track. What's new is the line through the center of the blobs and the orange rectangle around it. I think I found the problem. Melodyne RFX (and maybe RFX in general) don't support multiple takes open at the same time. I think I've used Melodyne to edit multiple takes but I haven't used if for comping where I'd have more than one take open at a time.

So the work around I've found is not using take lanes when I want to use Melodyne for comping. Below's a screenshot of the same two takes in separate tracks open in the Melodyne editor. So looks like it will work, though I haven't done any comping yet. Note the two tracks in the blue box in the upper left corner. The lower one, the one with the highlighted orange blobs, is the one currently shown in the Melodyne note editor window.

2020-01-24-2.png