My Cure for GAS

husker

I've found (at least a temporary) cure for gas.  I recently picked up a new midi interface (a MioXL, replacing my old Motu), which resulted in a needed planned re-cabling/reracking of all my hardware.  After that was complete, I figured I should look at the DAW computer.  I thought what the heck, I'll just rebuild that as well....from scratch.    Wiped the hard drive, installed the latest Windows 10, Cubase, etc.   It took days of work to reinstall/reauthorize/reconfigure all the VSTs, Kontakt libraries, etc.    What a total pain.  And a clear fix for GAS!

(Now how long is that Ethera sale on?!?!?!?!?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

To be honest, I really didn't mind it.  I'm kind of a computer guy, I cut my teeth on building PCs and OS's back in the day.  Its almost kind of relaxing to me.  

The DAW stuff, however, can be trying.  It makes me thankful for companies with good downloaders/installers (Native Access, Arturia Software Center, Waves Central, etc.).  Click and forget.

Not me I don't redo anymore.  Sometimes it is a good idea and you start removing bloat.

BTW there is no cure for GAS. If you took up golf you would probably spend a lot of money on a club that claims you have drive the ball farther and more straight.

Edited by kitekrazy

19 hours ago, husker said:

I've found (at least a temporary) cure for gas.  I recently picked up a new midi interface (a MioXL, replacing my old Motu), which resulted in a needed planned re-cabling/reracking of all my hardware.  After that was complete, I figured I should look at the DAW computer.  I thought what the heck, I'll just rebuild that as well....from scratch.    Wiped the hard drive, installed the latest Windows 10, Cubase, etc.   It took days of work to reinstall/reauthorize/reconfigure all the VSTs, Kontakt libraries, etc.    What a total pain.  And a clear fix for GAS!

(Now how long is that Ethera sale on?!?!?!?!?)

I have another cure for GAS. 4 kids!

Ah, who am I kidding, they'll be fine on rice and beans for the next month(:

• Haha 1

GAS can become a serious psychological disorder, it's like an internet addiction. it should be in the DSM manual. I did once have an addiction to the internet but as you can see, I've been cured of that.

One thing to think about is to work out what you have really used over the past 12 months. I only have 2 DAW's, 1 sound editor, 2 Video editing programs, 2 image editing programs and 2 desktop publishing programs on my offline computer. With that, I can do all I need to. I have plenty of others but they don't get put on anymore. I keep them and monitor what is going on with them in case I might want to upgrade later or switch.

I did the same thing with my video and audio equipment, maximum of 2 only, cameras, guitars, keyboards amps etc

Edited by Tezza