Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

pezi

Question

Hi all,

with Windows 10 (1909 #18363) installation of Bandlab Cakewalk does not work: neither from Bandlab Command Center nor from downloaded files  as proposed in:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000033/Unable-to-register-the-DLL-OCX-RegSvr32-failed-with-exit-code-0x3

Installation of Visual C++ Redistributable Packages as proposed in:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Unable-to-register-the-DLLOCX-RegSvr32-Failed-with-exit-code-0x3-m3687210.aspx

also does not work because a newer version is installed in Windows 10.

Ignore does not help; I also tried to run the installation as administrator - did not solve the problem.

Any help will be highly appreciated 😐

pezi

1830543273_CakewalkError.JPG.c7bf440f1b13d55b21afb7786975787a.JPG

10 answers to this question

Ran into the same situation with a 32-bit install on 64-bit Win10. The redistributable version does not seem to be the issue.

Tried registering the sonitus DLLs manually (in powershell running as administrator):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe .\SonitusFXCompressor.dll    

And got this:

error.jpg.10c4d04f95e21c5be9aa3836bbf598f0.jpg

Edited by yevster

Hi,

I succeeded to remove this problem by uninstalling first Visual Studio 2015 (Isolated shell) and then run the Cakewalk install from BandLabAssistant.

After I had uninstalled VS 2015 I did not any more get this error message (Unable  to register DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3) and Cakewalk installation was completed perfectly!

Seems that somehow there is conflict between Cakewalk installer and VS2015 shell?

I had the VS2015 shell on my computer as I was using Atmel Studio 7.0, and Atmel Studio needs VS2015 shell to work. At the moment Atmel Studio doesn't start due to that.

I haven't yet try to install VS2015 shell back to get Atmel Studio to work (I don' t need to use it at the moment).

Hope that this info can help somebody with same problem.

/Jouko

I guess it is back to the last version of Sonar that I bought.  I'm unable to install on my new Windows machine because of the "Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3" situation. 

I'm not willing to risk my system by rolling back Visual Studio or using a solution suggested 10 years ago.  They update Windows for security reasons, so I'm going to play it safe and not undo their updates.

I'm pretty invested in Windows, so I'm not going throw out an empty threat of moving to Apple, but I for sure see why some folks get tired of these kinds of issues with Windows.  Sigh.

Funny thing, the latest BandLab Cakewalk installed and works great on my laptop, which has all the latest Windows updates.

I tried running as Administrator with no luck.  If anyone finds a solution that doesn't involve reprogramming Windows, please share.  :)

2 hours ago, stratboy Lc said:

I guess it is back to the last version of Sonar that I bought.  I'm unable to install on my new Windows machine because of the "Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3" situation. 

I'm not willing to risk my system by rolling back Visual Studio or using a solution suggested 10 years ago.  They update Windows for security reasons, so I'm going to play it safe and not undo their updates.

I'm pretty invested in Windows, so I'm not going throw out an empty threat of moving to Apple, but I for sure see why some folks get tired of these kinds of issues with Windows.  Sigh.

Funny thing, the latest BandLab Cakewalk installed and works great on my laptop, which has all the latest Windows updates.

I tried running as Administrator with no luck.  If anyone finds a solution that doesn't involve reprogramming Windows, please share.  :)

There's a huge difference between installing Visual Studio and installing the Visual Studio redistributable libraries.  It's the redistributable libraries you need.

Installing an earlier version of the redistributables (e.g. VS2015 , when the current OS has VS2017 ) does not overwrite the current VS2017 redists. It just adds them so both versions are then available.

You may find however that by installing Sonar, it installs the required libraries in any case.

If you're trying to call regsvr32 on a 32 bit plugin though, that isn't going to work at all in a 64 bit OS.

I saw that Pezi had said to fix the problem, uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 14.16.27027.1,

and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) 14.24.28127 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) 14.24.28127. I already have both of those installed and and I never had the 2017 version installed, so I'm still stuck...

7 hours ago, RMB Jayy said:

I saw that Pezi had said to fix the problem, uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 14.16.27027.1,

and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) 14.24.28127 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) 14.24.28127. I already have both of those installed and and I never had the 2017 version installed, so I'm still stuck...

What DLL are you trying to register?

Are you sure you're not trying to register a 32-bit DLL on a 64 bit OS ?  Try registering the 64 bit version of the DLL instead.

If it lives in C:\Program Files (x86)\   then it's likely to be the 32 bit version.

64 bit versions normally live in C:\Program Files\

There's a few other reasons that could also give a code 3 error:

• DLL is still in use by another program
  • Your virus scanner may be "looking" at it while you're trying to register it.

This might give some hints:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20180921-00/?p=99795

This is still an issue in 2021 with no apparent resolution. It seems to error out on all the Sonitus dlls. 

Windows 10 fully up to date on all Windows updates

No Anitvirus only windows defender

I do not have Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 14.16.27027.1

I do have both Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) 14.24.28127
                                Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) 14.24.28127

I sent this in to Cakewalk support with only an automated reply so no help there either

Edited by Brian Zdunowski

Hi,

I succeeded to remove this problem by installing first vc_redist.x64.exe(See URL below), restart my PC, and then run the Cakewalk install from BandLabAssistant.

> vc_redist.x64.exe is here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

Error : DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3
System : 
Windows 10 Pro
Dell Inspiron 5482
Visual Studio 2019 and VSCode installed

For your information... Thanks.