Jump to content
SPAK

BIG JOHN

Recommended Posts

Nice version, always liked that song. I like the atmosphere from the musical bed and the pattering percussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James G said:

Nice version, always liked that song. I like the atmosphere from the musical bed and the pattering percussion.

Thanks for the comment M8. I listened to this as a boy and still remember him (Jimmy Dean) singing it a the Royal Command Performance with my folks when they were alive, My Dad loved it, so I thought I'd just have some fun doing it 2019 style.

Stay Well

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be great to play live.  This is good old fashioned song writing.  It really gets to the crux of the matter.  I really liked your version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,
One of those songs that's so ingrained you never think of anyone else doing it, but gotta say I really liked your version. I can't put it any better than James did regarding the musical bed and pattering percussion underneath the lyrics. Really effective. Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on this Spak. Definitely a cool interpretation. My dad's name is John, and he used to play this 45 all the time when I was little. I always pretended the song was about him. I just downloaded the original song about a month ago. First time I've heard it in close to 40 years. Your version takes it in a whole different direction. Very imaginative interpretation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

This would be great to play live.  This is good old fashioned song writing.  It really gets to the crux of the matter.  I really liked your version.

 

9 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Steve,
One of those songs that's so ingrained you never think of anyone else doing it, but gotta say I really liked your version. I can't put it any better than James did regarding the musical bed and pattering percussion underneath the lyrics. Really effective. Well done!

 

8 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

Nice job on this Spak. Definitely a cool interpretation. My dad's name is John, and he used to play this 45 all the time when I was little. I always pretended the song was about him. I just downloaded the original song about a month ago. First time I've heard it in close to 40 years. Your version takes it in a whole different direction. Very imaginative interpretation!

Thanks guys, amazing response! This song holds a lot of good memories and I thought it might draw some negative feedback.. As David said 'this is good old fashioned song writing' and given the feedback from Bjorn, of it being so ingrained' I think you know where my concern lay. Thanks for the back story Leadfoot  as said my dad loved it too ... the main reason for the revamp !

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this was great. The arrangement has a nice Depeche Mode feel to it.

Enjoyed it alot! And btw, my real name is John. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always thought that when you do a cover song, either do it exactly like the original or own it yourself.  You own this version like Johnny Cash owns "Hurt".  I like everything about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John & Lynn

Thanks a lot for the comments ...  as said, just knocked out with the feedback ... And Lynn godda say that's a real compliment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...