75 workflow improvements to make Cakewalk more intuitive (+ appearance, implementation, etc.)

Olaf

On 12/21/2019 at 4:45 PM, Olaf said:

E. Pro Channel Module Options, Mix Tracks (Console View)

4. CTRL + Insert PC Module on a Pro Channel automatically inserts that module on all tracks. If specific tracks are selected, the insert is made on all selected tracks.

11. Track focus change when clicking on track, instead of only on the track number, like now. Makes it easier and faster to select, without having to think where to click.

12."Duplicate Track" option in the Console View, in the right click menu, same as in the Track View.

J. Remember Project settings

3. Fixing irregular behavior where VSTs that use crosstalk among tracks reset their settings to the default values, under various circumstances.

Add the SSL 4K channel compressor (complete with Autogain and Peak attack mode, just as the original – I know this may be too much to ask, but those features are magical in the SSL channel compressor - autogain basically tells you what the best compression setting is, and the peak mode allows for tracks to be sent back in the mix without audibly impacting the attack), as third Pro Channel compressor option.

Hi there, I think this is a very nice list of features overall, but I've also selected a few that I think are more important. And also, I will add a few more:

1. Parameter linking/modulation for every single setting in a plugin, PC module, channel, or bus. This will allow for a vast range of possibilities for mixing setups and options.

2. Enhancement of Routing-Patching capabilities. I think for this one the devs can take some inspiration from Reaper's routing options. In my experience, they are superior and they allow for invaluable flexibility and faster workflow, so it would be great if Cakewalk had similar options as well. I think they would be well-paired with Cakewalk's own patch points. And this brings to the next suggestion:

3.Adding a virtual Patch-bay. This would give us the option to view and edit all the routing options of the whole project in one place, and would also make it easier to see what's going on and change the routing. I think the patchbay would also make patch points easier to use, as it would provide a visual representation of what's happening behind the scenes. It should also allow us to patch anything to anything else, be it channel, bus, hardware input/output, plugin or PC module.

4.More options for aux sends, such as the ability to flip the polarity for a send.

The above suggestions were actually inspired by Dan Worrall's mixing tips videos, but I think having these options would be useful for every music produce/engineer and would make Cakewalk a much more powerful DAW than it currently is.

PS: I also think it would be a perfect addition to the new Sonar, encouraging more people to buy it (or at least me personally, if all the above features are integrated on Sonar, I would definitely like to pay for it).

Edited by Jossy
New announcements for Cakewalk Sonar

On 3/18/2021 at 11:31 PM, Magic Russ said:

2.  I would like to be able to drag FX chains from the browser to the FX bin.  And maybe have a shift or ctrl drag option to load without the container. 

You can - I use drag/drop with FX chains all the time.

They're listed at the bottom of the PlugIns page:

image.png.18f914c6c028d290bddf14a59c482c8e.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Thanks for that but for me what is as important is the ability to drag them without the container.

Start dragging from the browser,  then hold SHIFT down while you're dropping on the FX bin.  This will extract the FX from the FX Chain container before dropping them in the FX bin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Start dragging from the browser,  then hold SHIFT down while you're dropping on the FX bin.  This will extract the FX from the FX Chain container before dropping them in the FX bin.

Thanks for clarifying that.  I remember some time back someone telling me that you could shift-drag to do this, but that wasn't working.  I didn't realize you had to click shift after you started dragging.