75 workflow improvements to make Cakewalk more intuitive (+ appearance, implementation, etc.)

Olaf

28 minutes ago, Olaf said:

You've got to be joking. "Everything", you say. Even those that don't exist yet, like drag & drop options, copying settings among FX, or opening instruments in the Console, "are working better" now.

You sound about right on one thing, though. You do sound like a Reason user.ย  Cause that's pretty much the tone that I'd started to be allergic to, on Reason forums. And they do react to talking about the program as if it was "like insulting someone's mother". It's like their entire identity is hinged around their gear, and their DAW being declared flawless is more important to them than working easily in it, even if afterwards they admit doing the mixing in other DAWs, because of its limitations, etc. That's a sign of emotional issues, more than objective assessment, as far as I can gather. I see you've carried this style of speaking here, too.ย  And I'm glad to see you stopped here not to make any useful suggestions, but just enough to "assert yourself". Get a life.

Fear not, you will find this place no different, perhaps even worse, the old forums certainly were.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ensonced said:

Fear not, you will find this place no different, perhaps even worse, the old forums certainly were.

I will fear not ๐Ÿ˜„. Based on the guys on the Facebook groups, I got the feeling people were more relaxed and open. Many are, to be honest. So seem the guys at Bandlab.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

You've got to be joking. "Everything", you say. Even those that don't exist yet, like drag & drop options, copying settings among FX, or opening instruments in the Console, "are working better" now.

You sound about right on one thing, though. You do sound like a Reason user.ย  Cause that's pretty much the tone that I'd started to be allergic to, on Reason forums. And they do react to talking about the program as if it was "like insulting someone's mother". It's like their entire identity is hinged around their gear, and their DAW being declared flawless is more important to them than working easily in it, even if afterwards they admit doing the mixing in other DAWs, because of its limitations, etc. That's a sign of emotional issues, more than objective assessment, as far as I can gather. I see you've carried this style of speaking here, too.ย  And I'm glad to see you stopped here not to make any useful suggestions, but just enough to "assert yourself". Get a life.

Dude, learn to work the DAW before talking nonsense! Don't become a cigarette butt.

• Like 1
  • Meh 2

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

You sound about right on one thing, though. You do sound like a Reason user.ย  Cause that's pretty much the tone that I'd started to be allergic to, on Reason forums.

I'm not a reason user. It was taught to me in music school. I never even used it in my own projects so don't I'm one, be allergic to that! You see assumptions in thinking you know something, well it keeps your head buried in the sand. Get a manual of Cakewalk study it and come back to comment. If you can't follow instructions well, good luck in learning anything to it's core. All you do is insulting who's been trying to help you, newbie.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

Added two more suggestions:

• "Duplicate Track" option in the Console View, in the right click menu, same as in the Track View.
  • Mouse Scroll wheel moves slider on both scroll bars (vertical and horizontal scrolling), on placing cursor over them - in all Workspaces.
Edited by Olaf

On 1/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, Olaf said:

yeap, the thing is that, if you agree with them, too, they become our requests, and the more, the merrier, as they say. ๐Ÿค—

In one respect it is nice placing all your suggestions in one post.ย  It illustrates your desire for change and indicates you have given the post considerable consideration.ย  The issue is I (using the generic I in this case) may not agree with all 75 suggestions.ย  Or I may want to discuss or clarify some of them.ย  Placing all of your suggestions in one post makes it more difficult for me to agree or disagree with each suggestion.

My personal opinion is I would rather see one or two ideas presented for consideration in each thread so each suggestion can be debated and rise or fall on it's own merit.ย  However, everyone has their own method of doing things and my personal preference does not make that preference the best way because there is no best way in most cases.

17 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

In one respect it is nice placing all your suggestions in one post.ย  It illustrates your desire for change and indicates you have given the post considerable consideration.ย  The issue is I (using the generic I in this case) may not agree with all 75 suggestions. Or I may want to discuss or clarify some of them.

Hi, Jim!

I understand what you're saying, but think about posting - at this point - 76 different posts, and then talking separately on all 76 of them. It would mean flooding the forum, which I wanted to avoid, one, and then, generate endless discussions about all of them - cause you know how those can get. Plus, I thought about having a centralized document for changes.

My initial idea was not to go into debate for each, but put them out there, on a list, so that people can vote in the way of "hm, I would to see this, that, and that, this and the other may be helpful, and don't want this, that, and that", so that we can get a notion of those that will be the most requested, to bring them forward to the attention of Bandlab. A sort of simple voting. That doesn't mean we can't talk about them or have alternative suggestions - if there's better ideas on how to simplify some operations, why not - I mean, that's the idea.

ย 

So feel free to ask. It'd be nice to talk about the actual suggestions, instead of judgments over intentions, for a change.

ย 

17 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Placing all of your suggestions in one post makes it more difficult for me to agree or disagree with each suggestion.

You've actually given me an idea. I'm noing to number them, instead of the bullets, so that you, or anyone, can easily address 1, 5, 25, etc. Would that help?

Olaf,

I agree a discussion about intent is a little off topic.ย  I apologize for that even though I'm actually enjoying having a civil discussion.ย  Civil discussions seem to have lost favor as a way to exchange different points of view.

You last post gave me an idea.ย  When you create a new topic there are two tabs across the top, one for discussions and one for polls.ย  How about creating a poll for each of the 76 suggestions?

Clipboard33

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Civil discussions seem to have lost favor as a way to exchange different points of view.

You're right about that, and every time there's a disagreement - or even misunderstanding - the first reflex is to put somebody down or insult, which effectively makes any longer term relationship impossible, since disagreement between any two people is, at some point, inevitable.

9 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

How about creating a poll for each of the 76 suggestions?

I think it's a good idea, and I'll try it. Thanks for the suggestion ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ‘.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

@Jim Fogle

I think I'll break it down in smaller chunks, of 10 or so, so people don't get discouraged by it being too long. Need to find the time to choose/start with the things that will be the biggest gain in the short run. Any preferences?

I think that's a great idea.

You have put a lot of effort in to this list, i would love to see the points you made in a more focused section.

There was another user who put up a list of 50+ ideas once and was meet with a similar point of view.

I love hearing others ideas, so keep up the good work.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...